Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fruit tree hedging plan...Is this possible?

Posted by aag3981 none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 8:11

Good morning! I have formulated a landscaping plan I am super excited about, but not entirely sure it's possible...

First, I am focusing on edible landscaping and I would like to grow a hedge along the side of my yard with fruit trees. I was reading on the 4 in one hole planting method and hedging and I wouldr really like to have a cherry/peach/apple tree hedge along the side of my home. I am thinking semi-dwarf varieties that get planted about 3ft a part starting with cherries, then apples and then peaches. On top of that, I think it would be really neat to have some low bush blueberries added in a couple of years under these trees (this would be on the south side of the yard but there is plenty of sun so the blueberries would not be shaded by the fruit trees that much).

So, my question is, is this possible? This is a lot of fruit in one small area, basically about a 30 ft line. I think the trees (pruned aggressiving of course) would be fine from methods and experiences I have seen from other people, but the blueberries may be pushing it. And if this is possible, what sort of issues should I be on the look out for? Has anybody had any experience with the low chill cherries such as the Brooks (I'm considering a Brooks/meteor/bing combo if I remember correctly, my notes aren't with me). I am in Columbia SC, right in the city, so space is limited.

I am also going to build a strawberry "step" planter thingie I saw for the front area by the porch currently populated by ugly bushes and a raspberry and black berry vine will be on the north end of the yard. I don't have any questions about these plants, I'm just super excited about the idea and I want to tell everybody:).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fruit tree hedging plan...Is this possible?

I have a similar set up . A row of seven semi dwarf apples that I maintain two dimensionally, ie a freestanding espalier . And a hedge of rabbit eye blueberries. I,m typing on my phone so the response is limited. I wanted a tall fence so I went with the semi dwarf, but if you want control I would suggest dwarf. Pay special attention to growth type and disease resistance. Specifically spur forming vs tip bearing. It's hard to control growth and get good yield with tip bearing. The specific disease are cedar apple rust, and fire blight for apple and pears for the latter. I'd recommend sticking to one type of fruit if they are planted densly. The blueberries are super easy, but purchase the largest plants you can because they grow slowly. Cherry and peach are hard work. Look at johnsonnursery and Century farm orchards. Be careful what you read on line, e.g. The multi plant method is used in SoCal where plants grow completely different. But it's worth a shot. And remember its a five year experiment!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here