Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aag3981

Fruit tree hedging plan...Is this possible?

aag3981
11 years ago

Good morning! I have formulated a landscaping plan I am super excited about, but not entirely sure it's possible...

First, I am focusing on edible landscaping and I would like to grow a hedge along the side of my yard with fruit trees. I was reading on the 4 in one hole planting method and hedging and I wouldr really like to have a cherry/peach/apple tree hedge along the side of my home. I am thinking semi-dwarf varieties that get planted about 3ft a part starting with cherries, then apples and then peaches. On top of that, I think it would be really neat to have some low bush blueberries added in a couple of years under these trees (this would be on the south side of the yard but there is plenty of sun so the blueberries would not be shaded by the fruit trees that much).

So, my question is, is this possible? This is a lot of fruit in one small area, basically about a 30 ft line. I think the trees (pruned aggressiving of course) would be fine from methods and experiences I have seen from other people, but the blueberries may be pushing it. And if this is possible, what sort of issues should I be on the look out for? Has anybody had any experience with the low chill cherries such as the Brooks (I'm considering a Brooks/meteor/bing combo if I remember correctly, my notes aren't with me). I am in Columbia SC, right in the city, so space is limited.

I am also going to build a strawberry "step" planter thingie I saw for the front area by the porch currently populated by ugly bushes and a raspberry and black berry vine will be on the north end of the yard. I don't have any questions about these plants, I'm just super excited about the idea and I want to tell everybody:).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!