Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rethinking Hackberry Trees

Posted by anntn6b z6b TN (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 13, 04 at 10:04

This summer and early fall, we've had a major infestation of Asian Wooly Hackberry aphids. At first it was just a nuisance...looked like a few snowflakes. Then the moldy aphid dew covered DH's truck parked under a hackberry, and now the dew (don't do this dew) is going to be a major pollutant on DH's garden railroad. Every plant within dew distance of a hackberry tree now has leaves covered with sticky black. The hackberry trees are visibly black from a distance.
We have been repainting our house and the bugs add a tetural element that we'd rather not have.
I've seen problems in Nashville, as well.
From reading references on Google, there's no practical solution that can return the Hackberries to looking even slightly clean by fall.
We are probably going to have to remove the hackberries near our house just for cleanliness.
We've got so many hackberries out in the woods that even if we were to wash our trees with insecticides (and this is NOT a solution, as we depend on beneficials whenever possible) there are hoards of flying aphids ready to move back into our trees and recoat our world with black scum.
Is anyone else dealing with this problem, yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Googled references

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rethinking Hackberry Trees

Here in central Texas we have the same problem. Such a shame as our pastures are full of hackberry trees. Another import that we have no natural controls of. We have some old hackberries that are so large that it would take two people to reach around them. I suppose we will end up loosing them. Can't park any equiptment or cars anywhere near them. They also had the larve of the "hackberry butterfly" on them most of the summer. If the honeydew didn't get you the droppings of the larve did.

Patsy

o

• Posted by gth49 z7 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 20, 04 at 12:16

We are inundated with these bugs and so are others in our neighborhood.We have two HUGE trees and everything underneath them is being suffocated in black gunk. We will have to remove the trees and replant with native plants as the yard is being destroyed -- it is much worse this year than last. Last year I washed the camellia leaves to help them survive but I can't do the whole garden now!

o

• Posted by Rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 21, 04 at 14:18

Is this something that's expected to normalize after a couple years or so? We had something very similar infest our ash tree back in Southern California. It was awful for a while, but eventually the problem simply went away, or perhaps just returned to normal, i.e., not enough to notice. The same for some revolting worms disfiguring our hedge another time.

o

Yes, it is awful. Last year we had the house painted, so I bought ladybugs and lacewings to try and keep the white house clean...this year I hoped the second generation of good bugs would return, but the sooty mold gunk was much worse...not sure if buying more ladybugs would have helped or not, but I will buy LOTS more next year...I can't think of anything else that might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here