Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronlarimer_zone7

A game of name that plant

ronlarimer_zone7
16 years ago

I recently had a home built in Huntersville, NC (zone 7) and like usual I had little to say about what was planted. To make matters worse it is the 1st time I have had a yard away from Ohio, where I knew the nature of all of the common plants, if not their names.

I have tried to identify a number of the plants below, please correct me where I am wrong and confirm where I have succeeded.

{{gwi:1265479}}{{gwi:1265480}}{{gwi:1265483}}{{gwi:1265485}}{{gwi:1265486}}{{gwi:1265488}}{{gwi:1265490}}{{gwi:1265492}}{{gwi:1265494}}{{gwi:1265496}}{{gwi:1265497}}

A) Common Boxwood

B) Privet

C) ???

D) ???

E) ???

F) Weeping Redbud

G) Kleim's Hardy Gardenia

H) A Rose (What Kind?)

I) Red Barberry

J) ???

Happy Halloween!

Ron

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

It would be good to see some leaves close up (you could lay them on a piece of paper on a scanner, that works well for leaves).

A. There are many small leaved plants, hard to say this is boxwood for sure. It should have opposite leaves which distinguish it from Ilex crenata which has similar appearance, but alternate leaves.
    B. Which privet do you think this is, Waxleaf privet? Either way, privet should not be planted in the South, too invasive. And common too - find something more unique to go with that good looking pumpkin.
    C. Could be an azalea, as could be true for D. Need to see the leaves.
    E. Hard to tell, could be Cherry Laurel.
    J. Looks like an oak, perhaps a Willow Oak.

Knockout roses are commonly planted here these days.
    Happy Halloween! And welcome to the South :)

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

C. Looks like some type of holly to me, probably a hybrid.
    D. Looks like an azalea under stress, maybe lacebug damage.
    E. I agree with Cherry Laurel

• laurabs
    16 years ago

J - Probably willow oak, and a nicely shaped one, too. This is my favorite oak here. I just love the small leaves, but they are hard to rake. It is nice to keep them mulched with pine needles like it is, and even a bigger area would make your life easier because of the difficulty of raking them out of the grass. I don't actually have a willow oak on my property because of lack of space, but that's the only complaint I have heard.

Most of what you have likes a lowish pH (I don't know anything about roses though), so do check your soil pH so you'll know if it's appropriate. That's how you keep those leaves nice and dark green and healthy.

Nice plants.

• Donna
    16 years ago

A and B. You are correct.
    C. I agree that it's a holly. Burfordii has one sticker on the tip, could be another kind of holly too. The straight burfordii (will get really big) bears berries on the outside ends of stems. The dwarf one (tops out at about 6 feet or so) bears them on the inner stems.
    D. Looks like azalea to me. Could be suffering from not enough water, too much light or some kind of disease or insect - or could be okay. Keep it watered, keep an eye on it, and don't prune it at all until right after it blooms. (Then you have one month to do so without losing blooms.)

Welcome to the south! You really ought to get a Southern Living Garden Book. It will give you basic info on all these plants and thousands more. Once you get over the shock of what you cannot have here, you're going to be very excited about all the gorgeous things you can grow here! I transplanted to the deep south from Indiana more than 20 years ago. You'll love it here, especially WINTER.

• Dave Townsend
    16 years ago

A. I agree with esh, it could be a Japanese Holly (Ilex crenata). I had to throw out three of those killed by the frost this year.

C. a holly, I have a few just like it I think. :)

F. does look like a weeping redbud. Lookup 'Lavender Twist' and see what you think. Should be an impressive show of flowers in the spring!

Sponsored