Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My gardenias

Posted by carla17 Z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 12:46

I rooted some gardenias last year. I remember asking John for help. Good Lord, if I had known they grow so slow I would have bought full size bushes!! I can see these will not be two feet high for years!!!

Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My gardenias

Just remember the old saying about perennials: The first year they sleep, the second year the creep and the third year they leap. Gardenias can be bought at discount stores and big box home improvement stores so cheaply you can afford to buy 2 or 3 y/o plants which will grow quickly. But, I always root plants when I prune my gardenias. Your plants will grow more next year spring an summer and leap out the third season. Just hang in there.

o
RE: My gardenias

Take Terry's word. They will do FINE! Check out the picture I put below - that is a gardenia my mom rooted in 1998, we planted it in 1999. Within a couple of years, it was doing this (all of them do actually). I have to cut them back this coming spring....and it is SOOO much fun to have the history with the plant - you rooted it, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of my gardenias that was rooted

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here