Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carolina moonseed vine...how to kill?

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 15:07

I sprayed an area with Roundup in preparation of planting hellebores but the Moonseed vines just laughed at me...how can I kill it but not poison the soil? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carolina moonseed vine...how to kill?

Spray the foliage?

o

Probably need to get out the shovel and get that rhizome out of the ground. Any missed pieces that sprout next spring you can slice and douse with a small amount of weed killer.

o

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 20:52

This is probably not what you want to hear, but from what I've read, by the time you notice it, the time has passed to eradicate it entirely (especially if its root system has intermingled with those of other ornamentals, which of course they DO.

I dig up as much of the roots as possible and spray what remains in the ground with herbicide. This helps control it, but it always returns.

BTW, have you ever noticed how the most invasive vines always situate themselves where they can least likely be removed without harming your favorite plants?

o

Vine tips can be inserted in a jar/can/florist spike of herbicide, to 'drink' it. Then only what is needed is used, and it's not put on the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here