Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best shrubs to plant in fall

Posted by delynngw none (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 16:19

I am new to this area, upper Mississippi about 20 minutes from Memphis. I moved from WAY down South. What are the best shade loving (unfortunately my front yard is 3/4 shaded) shrubs and bulbs I should plant this time of year? I have awful problems with moles which have eaten all my Hostas and Liripoe. Can not seem to get rid of them. My yard is really bare and ugly which is driving me crazy. I want a really pretty yard like I had before, but the shade and the moles are making it difficult. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best shrubs to plant in fall

Moles do not eat plants. Perhaps you are confusing them with voles.

Any shrub can be planted in the fall in your area. Spring flowering bulbs can be planted in the fall...call your extension office for the best timing for the bulbs in your region.

o
RE: Best shrubs to plant in fall

You'll likely be limited by what's for sale. If they have it, you like it, and it would do well in shade, you've found something.

Knowing what zone you are in would help with specific suggestions of stuff to look for - 7b?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here