Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

What hostas look good NOW?

Donna
15 years ago

Hi, folks. Once again, many of my hostas look perfectly dreadful by my southern summer's end. And yet, I continue searching for the few that do well. So, what hostas do you have that still look good? I am particularly interested in variegated ones, golds, and blues.

Comments (8)

• louisianagal
    15 years ago

All of my gardening is done on a shoestring budget, so I don't always know the names of my hostas. But all of them still look good. Mine are in a pretty shady location. I just bought 3 new ones, 2 were Frances Mason, or Henry Mason, or something like that, and 1 was definitely Minuteman. They were on sale for $1 at Lowe's Clearance, the Minuteman was 50 cents. They look absolutely great, after I removed a couple brown leaves. I planted them under a tree. I am not sure why yours look bad, are they getting too much sun?
    laurie

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My hostas are under a lathe house with no competition from trees. It's just that they fade and even scorch from our intense heat. They never get any direct sun, only dappled.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

'striptease' always looks good for the longest time of the ones i grow. 'guacamole' holds out pretty well, too.
    'abiqua drinking gourd' is still attractive. all of these are in containers in filtered shade.

• vicki7
    15 years ago

My Guacamole is still large and beautiful, as well as Thunderbolt , June, and Krossa Regal. It seems like the thicker leaved varieties fare better and don't look as tattered at the end of the season. I have several that are really struggling to stay alive due to the drought. There is just nothing like good ol' rain water.

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

did another survey this weekend and would add 'paul's glory' and 'formal attire' to the list of "lookers". ;-)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

vicki has the key to Hosta survival during the intense heat of late summer in the south (or anywhere else). The thicker the leaf, the better chance of remaining attractive, assuming they receive adequate moisture,
    I grow more than 500 Hostas (about 350-400 different cultivars) and most of mine still look good (from a distance!). Close up, I find some imperfections, due to insect damage, fallen twigs & pine needles and leaf margin scorch, because of lack of moisture.
    The yellow(gold) ones and often, the white centered ones, are the first to exhibit heat stress. The blues must have constant shade, or they will turn green.
    Some tolerate more sun, than others. I am currently growing 'Paul's Glory', 'Color Glory', 'Queen Josephine', 'Shade Fanfare' and several miniatures, in full afternoon sun, from about 1PM-Dusk and all still look great.
    I water them 2-3 times per week, which was necessary, because I received no rainfall in the 40 day period from Aug. 27 to Oct.7.
    Others that are still good are 'Sagae'. 'Lady Isobel Barnett', 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd', 'Praying Hands', 'Blue Arrow', 'Dick Ward', 'Samurai', 'Paradise Backstage' and many more, too numerous to list, but includes about 90% of the miniatures, some of which receive a few hours of morning or noonday sun.
    Leaf texture, water and air circulation are the keys to nice looking Hostas in the late summer. I won several blue ribbons and best of show on some at an early Sept. Flower Show and they still look that good right now. But as soon as we have a heavy frost, they will be history, until spring.
    I might also mention that I avoid using high content Nitrogen fertilizer, such as Osmocote, due to our warm winters and the presence of the soil borne fungus, Sclerotium rolfsii, known as "Southern Blight".
    I have tried more than 500-600 different Hosta cultivars, many didn't survive for me. but unless one tries, you won't know for sure!
    Good Luck!
    Rb

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, y'all! Thanks for the great lists! I can't wait to start shopping during January. Know of any good mail order places with reasonable prices?

I have Sagae, and I agree it's a good one. It probably looks better than any others I have. I grow June and Halycon too, but by now, they are almost completely green, though not scorched or tattered. It's hard to believe June is the same plant that came up in the spring, it's so green all over.

I have eyed Guacamole several times and really like it. I am glad to know it's a good one for our region.

I am so impressed, razor, that you grow that many in the south, much less that you win awards. Congratulations! I am sure it was well earned.

Thanks for the warning on Osmocote. I am pretty sure I had the same problem with it this year on my hydrangeas. With your info, I think I will use it in pots only from now on.

• geeboss
    15 years ago

donnabaskets,

You might try digging up the hostas and amended the soil so that additional moisture remains near the roots during the extreme hot weather. Add some compost to the soil along with (1)tablespoon of Water Polymer Crystals sprinkled in a circle around the outer root zone of your hostas.

Sponsored