Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Cuttings Rooting in Water

Posted by susanlynne48 z7a-OKC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 7, 06 at 19:27

I'm new to this forum. Usually, you can find me at the Butterfly forum or the Oklahoma forum. However, there's little activity on the Oklahoma forum anymore, so I thought I would post here. I know Greenelbows from many other posts and forums.

I was amazed this summer when I broke off cuttings of my tomato plants to feed my sphinx moth cats. Several of them rooted in about a week, with roots about 1.5" long! I didn't know you could root them, and if so, can they be planted out to grow? I know it's too late to do that now, but I was so surprised. These were the yellow pear tomatos BTW.

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Cuttings Rooting in Water

Tomatoes root all along their stems very readily, not just at the nodes as most plants do. That's why you can plant a too tall tomato several inches deep....or lay one on its side in a trench.

For planting purposes, it is always better (from the plant's point of view) to root plants in a solid medium, rather than water. Though it's rewarding to watch the new little roots growing, those are not the kind of roots that plants need to function normally in soil, and they will have to go through a rooting process once again once planted.

Water-borne roots work to take dissolved oxygen out of water. Soil roots have to support the plant, exchange gases (oxygen and CO2), and absorb water and dissolved elements.

o

You're absolutely correct, Rhizo, that water is not a good medium for growing cuttings. However, I had just intended for it to stay "fresh" for awhile to feed my manduca sexta. I had no idea it would root. Never tried it before.

A lot of people think it's okay to use water as a rooting medium, but those water roots are so delicate, and not inclined to transplant well, if at all.

I always use an equal ratio of perlite and peat moss to root my cuttings, and I always plant my tomatoes much deeper that they are in the pot.

Susan

o

Oh, I thought you asked if the tomatoes could be planted out to grow. ;-)

Aren't you lucky that tomato plants are so easy to keep alive and healthy for your caterpillars? Not too many plants are that adaptable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here