Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmoores

yellow spotted leaves on magnolia

mmoores
16 years ago

Hi:

I planted a gem magnolia about a month or so ago. It is espaliered (trained to a trellis) and so is placed close to the foundation of the house. The soil in this garden is sandy with clay but I amended the bed with store bought garden soil made specifically for the planting of trees and shrubs and mixed it 50/50 with the existing soil. There is black plastic landscape cloth surrounding the tree and that is covered with pine straw. I have an irrigation system and the tree seems to be getting adequate water. The tree is planted in a western exposure and gets partial sun/partial shade. There are some new leaves on the tree and it has had three blossoms with some more that are forming. My problem is that a good number of the leaves on this magnolia are turning yellow with brown/black spots and are then falling off. I am very concerned that the tree is dying as I have read that gem magnolias do not lose many leaves. Does this sound like a fungal disease? Does it perhaps just need some fertilizer? Thanks for your help.

Comments (2)