Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any gardener in the Natchez, MS area?

Posted by deep_south_gardener z9b (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 21:32

Hey ya'll,
I may be purchasing some property in the Natchez
area. Would like to know what to expect as
a gardener. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any gardener in the Natchez, MS area?

Hi, Brenda
I garden in Meridian, MS, which is a little further north from Natchez, but wouldn't be extremely different. I have also gardened in New Orleans in the past. Natchez is a beautiful city filled with very traditional old south gardens: azaleas, camellias, cast iron plants, holly ferns, etc. The best recommendation I can give you is to purchase a copy of The Southern Living Garden Book by Steve Bender. Gardening in the deep south is very different from other parts of the country, including the Pacific Northwest, with whom we share the same hardiness zone. The thing that limits our plant palette most is our extremely warm nights during the summer months, in addition to our high heat and humidity. There are many many plants that grow up north that will not survive our climate. But, on the other hand, there are many things that grow here that won't grow up north either. I love gardening here. I can be out in my yard working ten months a year if I want to, even more if I bundle up a bit. Hope you love Natchez!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here