Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arad67

magnolia macrophylla - big leaf magnolia

ARAD
19 years ago

Hello everybody,

Could anybody direct me to a source for this tree? Any info is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (9)

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

It isn't popular with nurserymen or in the home landscape because it takes about 15 years to bloom. Also, because it is very slow to branch, so it takes many years to become an attractive specimen plant.

It doesn't like our wet Florida summers, either. It only does well where summers are hot and dry.

• User
    19 years ago

I bought one from the link below last year. Small, but in good condition and it has survived the summer...

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail-Order Natives, P.O. Box 9366, Lee, FL 32059 (850) 973-6830

• ARAD
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you very much for your inputs. Actually, I want to get this plant for my brother in Europe, zone 6B-7A, rather dry and sunny. Thanks again.

• Fledgeling_
    19 years ago

migleaf magnolia thrives only in moist,rich, measic settings

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

I work part time for a nursery that sells M. ashei. It is a smaller tree at maturity, but blooms much sooner in life than macrophylla.

• User
    19 years ago

I recently ordered some hard to find trees (chinquipin, sourwood, etc.) from PineRidge Gardens in London, AR and was impressed with the selection and shipping. Then I noticed that they had some larger trees that couldn't be shipped so I drove 275 miles one-way for a 10-gallon sourwood. While there I noticed that they had many small magnolia macrophylla and magnolia ashei. Also had several larger magnolia ashei 6-7' in 10-gallon containers. Can't say enough about their selection of trees that I've not been able to find easily! My only relation is as a satisfied customer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineridge Gardens

• jeff_al
    19 years ago

i see many of them along a roadbank in the talladega national forest of eastern alabama. this area is very steep and rocky.
    i also ordered one from mail order natives a year ago and it is coming along well in the understory in my wooded lot.

• lucky_p
    19 years ago

Jeff,
    I've seen several along the Tallapoosa county road (can't recall the #) that leads to and crosses the Tallapoosa River just below Martin Dam.

• angelfairy
    19 years ago

They are an Alabama native and grow wild on the higher ground of my wetland acreage. I like them for their huge leaves, which is a passion of mine, no matter what the plant. Unfortunately, magnolias do not transplant from open ground easily as they have a very deep tap root. Not too difficult to start from seed, just timely.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living