Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sea Grape Leaves Dying in Bud

Posted by Shaun83 none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 1:48

I've been growing a couple of sea grapes indoors in a sunny window here in PA for the last two years. They have done very well - until about six months ago. They grow leaf buds, and whether small or large, they fail to open. Some of them have just been sitting, not opening, for many weeks. Others have slowly turned black - then a new bud tries to grow off the dying one, until it too dies and turns black.

There is no symptom of disease or insects other than this problem. The only thing I can think of is that the roots may be getting crowded - could that cause the leaves to die in the bud? Of course, this is normally not a house plant, so I haven't been able to find any references to something like this online.

I'd be grateful for any explanation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sea Grape Leaves Dying in Bud

You might want to go on the Florida forum although this is a native outdoor plant for that warm zone.

Is it possible it's a problem with humidity? (not enough)

What I read on google sites, the sea grape is easily sprouted directly into the earth so if it grows roots that easily you might be right about the potted roots being crowded. If it can't easily form the smaller water absorbing
rootlets it might not be getting enough moisture both above and below the soil.

Another thing, is the window site any sunnier than in previous years (loss of a tree or hard trimmed shrub)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here