Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

hort market

cody_mi
19 years ago

whats the hort market like in georgia. is it difficult to find a job in the field or is it relatively easy with experience? i don't have my degree yet, although i will soon, but i have about 10 years of experience(i could spout off botanical latin at 12, my mom was so proud). it's really hard to get a job in the field in michigan unless you have a degree or know the people who own the company, plus the growing season is so short that it's basically a seasonal job, so there's no security. i eventually want to own my own greenhouse business, but not for 3-5 years, in the mean time i would like to work with someone who has already gone through the motions of starting their own business and learning all i can from them, especially what it really takes to run your own company, as in real life experience. my friends that live in atlanta keep telling me about all these hort jobs, but it seems to be all landscaping and very little growing.

when i finally do open my own company i plan on selling mostly perennials, few annuals, plus trees and shrubs. i've been collecting plants for several years now and feel that i have a good start on stock plants. mostly daylilies, sedums, heuchera/ella, and several other genera. anyone have any tips, advice, comments, warnings to pass along?

thanks

cody

ps if anyone is hiring just let me know!! lol

c.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz