Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do in winter - hoses

Posted by rosiew 8 GA (rosemarywalsh@bellsouth.net) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 6:17

Wondering what others do with the hoses during the winter. I have newly planted shrubs at the far back of my property which will need regular watering. I'm concerned about the hoses freezing/bursting since I won't be able to keep them drained. Arrgghh. Hoping y'all can advise me. I live above Atlanta.

TIA, Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do in winter - hoses

Are the hoses hooked up to a slow drip system, or is there a nozzle of some sort at the far end? Anyway, you can probably eliminate the potential for problems by simply unhooking the hose from the hose bibb.

What kind of shrubs are they and how often do you plan on watering them?

o

rhizo, thanks much for replying. I respect your judgment.

Hoses not hooked up to a slow drip system - I wish I could do that. The shrubs are aucuba japonica, six of them, planted among trees in my shady far back. Never thought of unhooking the hose each time. DOH. Easy enough to do, of course. And that would make it easier to protect the bibb against freezing. I usually concoct a wrapping of bubble wrap, taping it into place, but think I'll buy some of the form fitting covers instead.

Rosie

o

Here's what I would do....remove the nozzle from the end of the hose and unhook the other end from the bib. I really like the molded styrofoam covers....fast and easy protection.

o

Our hookup is about 2.5 feet off of the ground, so there's no way there's any water in it after a few minutes. Our old, leaky hose drips empty within a few minutes. On those rare, special days when it's not spurting from the connection between 2 hoses, I leave the nozzle dripping slowly to make sure it empties. If I don't, it's too hard to roll up in the storage box when it's full and heavy. If the hose is drained and well below the spigot, there's no water in it to freeze. I used to leave my hose hooked up in OH too and only once had a spigot freeze which did NOT have a hose hooked to it. Aside from being hard on the hose, I don't see any reason to unhook an empty hose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here