Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjh53

What plant would you put here?

sjh53
14 years ago

I am searching for an interesting plant to put in my yard. The location is full sun to very little shade with clay soil. I already have three clumps of ornamental grasses in the planting bed. The bed is on the edge of woods next to our driveway, so whatever goes there will be seen daily. I am considering Acoma crape myrtle or winter hazel. I love crape myrtles, and don't have one, but am thinking I should go with a less used plant, but one that has a lot of interest.

Your suggestions are needed and appreciated!

View going down our driveway:

{{gwi:1266416}}

Comments (8)

• Donna
    14 years ago

Personally, I think you're right on target with the crape myrtle. Since your area is close to woods, it's likely to be on the dry side, and crapes will do fine in those conditions. As far as interest, crape myrtles give you blooms all summer, good fall color, and beautiful architectural form all winter (assuming you don't prune its beauty right off). Add that to how reasonably priced crape myrtles are and it would be hard to beat them.

If you go with a crape myrtle, be sure to train it to go straight up before allowing the crown to get too full. That way, there will be plenty of room for the grasses underneath.

If I were you, I'd complete this group by underplanting the entire area heavily with bulbs, especially narcissus. They like a good summer's baking too. You can plant them up under the grasses. That way, when you prune the grasses in late winter, the area won't look so forlorn until spring.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

What about a sourwood or sassafras tree? Both are native to the area and are great looking. I especially like the beautiful flowers on the sourwood in the spring and the fall foilage is beautiful. Just realize that any plant will require attention and watering during at least the first year it is planted.

• jeff_al
    14 years ago

i think all southerners like crape myrtles - they're everywhere, including my yard!
    for something less common, you can probably easily find american fringe tree, chionanthus virginicus. it is lovely in bloom for a couple of weeks in early spring, fragrant, not too large-growing, sometimes decent yellow fall color and, to me, has appealing winter interest with silvery-gray bark and nice structure.
    they look good with uplighting in the dormant season - really shows off the gray bark colors. they really fill out nicely in full sun even though they are commonly found in the understory in the wild.
    {{gwi:330863}} {{gwi:351126}} {{gwi:459703}} {{gwi:459702}} {{gwi:495670}}

• dwf1
    14 years ago

Eastern Red Bud

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeff_al, your Fringe tree is interesting year round...I'm concerned it may be too large for the location, but I might find another place for one.

We have several sour woods and red buds in our woods, and I do love them, but those would be too large for this location too.

I've researched crape myrtles and am thinking an Acoma would work well. Any suggestions as to a good online nursery since I haven't located one nearby?

• a1chemyst
    14 years ago

I'd have to agree with donna, im sure you've noticed all the crape myrtles in rockdale.... that driveway looks very familiar >_> (stalker :O... no not really) but yeh i would say crape myrtles or something intersting like that but still not overbearingly exotic.

• Donna
    14 years ago

sj, I'd be willing to bet if you wait till spring that you'll be able to find Acoma at a big box store. I purchased one last year at Lowe's. Better yet, look for a good garden center and ask them to order you one. You should get a more fully developed root ball from a quality grower, and then the tree will just take off.

• sjh53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donnabaskets, I took your advice and put in about 30 daffodil bulbs beneath the ornamental grasses. I have not been able to find an Acoma at any nursery within 20 miles of me here in north GA. One of my students did give me a gift certificate to an independent nursery; I could check with them to see if they would order an Acoma for me.

Alchemyst, Rockdale county is at least an hour south of me....so if you recognize the driveway, you have really been out and up in the boonies! :)

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company