Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burrr Cold, how do I keep my plants warm?

Posted by daturalover 8 (crazyn35456@charter.net) on
Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 9:26

I have put up a small greenhouse for my topical plants.
It is used 2x4's to frame it, and put plastic around the whole thing.
I stapled the plastic, put up tarps on all sides exposed because of the winds. So that I can tie them down when we get our very high winds.

I built the roof on a slant so that the water would run off and put it next to the deck for added strength. I thought I had everything covered........ Now we are gettting freezing weather!! I have thought of everything but this.

Now we are having weather that New Yorkers get. Freezing!!!

How do I keep the plants warm? I can't use fire of any kind because of the space.

How about one of those lights that "guy" use outside in the dark? the kind that has a handle on them?? (don't know the name of them)

Do you think this will keep it warm enough to keep the space warm enough?
Or is there something I can get that will warm this space 8 x 10?

Sharon
crazyn35456@charter.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burrr Cold, how do I keep my plants warm?

Electric heater maybe?

o
RE: Burrr Cold, how do I keep my plants warm?

First of all, if you can, put plastic on both the inside and the outside of the frame, so there's an air space in between, or even use bubble wrap. Which direction does it face? If it's more or less south, large containers of water will heat up in the day and give off heat at night. I'm a zone warmer than you are, but I find just a light bulb or two is enough most the time. I've been thinking about trying heat mats; plants won't feel so cold if their roots are warm, I've read. My little greenhouse is basically for storage of tropicals, but I find it stays warm enough that they can look quite good if I take care of them with this routine. My original intent was just dormant storage. It's surprising what just a little protection can do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here