Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithnoskill

can i solarize my sfg now? (i'm in fl and desperate)

I have a couple of SFG beds that I let go... they got full of weeds so I de-weeded them and they looked great! Two weeks later they were absolutely packed with weeds again. Clearly my SFGs are full of weed seeds. I can't afford to buy all new soil at this point and want to solarize the garden so I can plant again in the new year.

So... can I solarize my soil in SFG boxes in Florida NOW (in November)??

Everything I read says you have to do it in July, but I assume they aren't talking about FL. We have highs in the mid 70s to mid 80s.

THANKS! I am desperate to get back to my garden, but without killing off all these weeds seeds, I'm at a loss.

Comments (8)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'd try it.

If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything, & if it does work, next year will be wonderful.

Best luck!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Well, I disagree. :-( I don't think solarizing the bed will be worth the time and the effort at this time of year. The soil needs to reach pretty high temperatures in order for the weed seeds to be 'cooked'. That just won't happen at this time of year, even in Florida. You might even end up with a greenhouse effect.

What might be more effective is a thick layer of mulch or newspaper and mulch. At the very least, the darkness would kill some weeds and prevent others from germinating. At the best, you'd be enriching your soil over the winter.

• gardeningwithnoskill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gah! Two differing opinions... I'm completely torn on what to do. I want to replant in Jan/Feb, but my beds just keep filling up with weeds thanks to my own laziness in the summer.... but there has to be a way to "fix" my beds without waiting until next summer to solarize them.

• gardeningwithnoskill
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone else want to weigh in? I'd love a tie-breaker...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

This isn't a competition. Do some reading (EDU sites) on the technique of solarization. You'll soon find that the outside temperature matters when it comes to cooking (steaming, actually) the soil via radiant energy. It simply is not warm enough, long enough in your climate at this time of year to rely on solarization to accomplish what you need it to do.

If you cover your weeds with clear plastic right now you'll likely end up with a fabulous jungle loving every minute of their luke warm winter, lol. It won't get hot enough to steam seeds, either.

I've given you an alternative suggestion, which also happens to be something that many (like jillions) of home gardeners do in the winter. Eliminate the sunlight by whatever means you wish. Most of us probably prefer to use something that will improve the soil, but I know of some folks right here in the Gardenweb who cover their gardens with black plastic over the winter and say that it's effective, too.

YOU need to be the 'tie-breaker'. Do some research and you'll be able to make a good decision.

Bonne chance!

• keiki
    13 years ago

I'm in South Florida and its not hot enough down here to solarize any beds.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

Just how big are these beds anyway? Can you skive off the top inch or so and put the dirt in a baking pan and cook it to kill the weed seeds?
    Course it will also kill off the beneficial organics at the same time I think.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    13 years ago

An organic gardening site says your soil needs to reach a minimum and consistent temperature of 114 degrees for 6-8 weeks if you're trying to solarize to sterilize.
    Someone also comments that baking dirt is stinky so I might cover my dirt in a pan and stick it on the backyard grill with a thermometer in it.
    Hmm, I might try that myself, cook-dump-cook more-dump.

Sponsored