Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robsol1980

Carolina Jasmine Blooming?

robsol1980
18 years ago

I planted 2 Carolina Jasmine vines in June and I just noticed they are begining to bloom. Is this normal? I understood them to be spring blooming. Im sure others have had this happen? Regardless they are beautiful and smell divine.

Thanks

Rob in ATL

Comments (12)

• Clod
    18 years ago

You may have the Swamp Jessamine, instead of the Carolina Jessamine, Rob. The Swamp Jessamine blooms in both the Spring and Fall. But the Carolina Jessamine only blooms in late Winter or Spring. Another identification factor is the aroma. The Carolina Jessamine has very aromatic flowers and the Swamp Jessamine's flowers have no fragrance at all. In appearance, the vines are nearly identical. Tony

• robsol1980
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tony,
    Thanks for the response. The blooms are quite fragrant so I don't think it is swamp jasmine. Maybe mine is just "special". Anyway it was a pleasant surprise. Thanks again...Rob

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Mine blooms in Feb.

• Minxie
    18 years ago

our recent hurricanes have alot of plants "out of sink" here..some kind of plant shock maybe..

• Soeur
    18 years ago

I had a Gelsemium rankinii (Swamp Jessamine) that was fragrant. It was less so than G. sempervirens, but definitely had a light, sweet odor when in bloom. Mine bloomed spring and fall, and I liked it better than C. Jessamine for that reason.

Soeur

• JohnP_GA
    18 years ago

Hi. I have been studying these two species since 1999 and have some answers that might be useful here: Fragrance-all known individuals of Carolina Jessamine (G. sempervirens), with the exception of populations in the high mountains of Eastern Mexico, are fragrant. Most individuals of G. rankinii are not fragrant but there appears to be considerable individual and population level fragrance. It was originally thought that the two species might be hybridizing and the fragrant G. rankinii were F1 hybrids but genetic analysis has shown that is not true. They are separate species. As for flowering time, this is strongly influenced by cultivation. In nature, both rarely flower in the fall, and in the spring, G. sempervirens flowers consistenly prior to G. rankinii with little overlap. In cultivation, extensive fall flowering occurs, particularly in warm winters. In S. GA, where I live, warm Octobers with no freezing nights lead to the initiation of flowering of G. sempervirens in early November (at my house along a fence). Once a freeze happens, the buds appear to stay dormant and then start opening in early Feb.-finishing by late March. Your flowering time will depend on your climate zone, light levels, extra water and nutrients provided, microclimate, etc.
    If anyone has seeds from fragrant G. rankinii, please contact me if you can provide them as I will be starting a new study looking at genetic control of odor production using HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) and Mass Spectrometry to characterize fragrance chemistry in the two species.
    Thanks, John Pascarella
    Associate Professor of Biology
    Valdosta State University
    Valdosta, GA 31698

Here is a link that might be useful: my university web page

• Deborah Miller
    8 years ago

My Carolina Jessamine is in full bloom in Upstate South Carolina!

• Cheryl Martin
    8 years ago

I have 2 Carolina Jasmine's. I have one planted where it gets afternoon sun. It is blooming so pretty, & 1 in noon time sun. It is also blooming , but not like the one in afternoon sun. I love them, they are so pretty.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Dirtygardener, no one should be offended by being corrected politely and respectfully. You certainly should never apologize for doing so.

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

Thanks, rhizo_1. I would have done the correction privately like I usually do, but I've seen that so many times this week (since Jessmine is blooming now) that it just got to me.

• Marla Juliano
    7 years ago

I have two, side by side as I love my native SC flowering vine. One is in full bloom right now, the other nothing! I blame it on the brutally warm winter here in the Georgia mountains.

And thank you for correcting the Jasmine comment. Makes me crazy also!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH