Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over-Picking Camellias?

Posted by bosewichte 7a/8b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 12:33

The house we moved into last year has several beautiful camellia bushes (trees? shrubs?). They're just starting to bloom and all of the bushes are absolutely loaded with buds. My question is this: I make lots of bouquets with camellias all season long, but I don't want to "over-pick" and cause difficulties with next year's bloom. I've heard that picking a lot for bouquets is fine, because you're basically just giving it a nice prune, but what's the rule of thumb with camellias?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over-Picking Camellias?

Bosewichte,
Camellias set their buds in the heat of the summer.
So, you can definately cut the blooming flowers off when you want to, it won't hurt future blooms at all.
They are definately trees, not shrubs.
Just look real close when you are cutting the blooming flowers off and see how the tree is growing. Cut down to the next twig, that is growing out.
Hard to explain online.
You should try some news ones too. You will have more to pick. LOL.

o

Do not worry, cut what you want.
I cut a lot each year for bouquets and every year have many blooms.

o

Thanks so much! I'm very relieved to learn this!

o

• Posted by lsst 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 15:42

After we reached 4F last week all my camellia buds are dead so it looks as if I will not have any to cut this spring.
bosewichte, did the cold affect your camellia buds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here