Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know what name of lizard

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 14:09

this little guy is? He is black with silver stripe down back.
 photo 2013-11-22123751_zps554cb8dc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know what name of lizard

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 20:37

I believe it is a chameleon. Sometimes they are brown, sometimes green.

o

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 22:34

One of my favorite reptiles, and I have many! I love to see the males run across the deck "extending their brightly colored dewlaps while bobbing up and down, almost doing a dance", as described by wikipedia.

They also have the ability to "change" colors from green to brown as a means of camouflage to hide from would-be predators.

Neat little garden friends to have around, until you realize that their eyes have the unique,reptilian ability to look deep enough into your soul to remind yourself that, at some point in history, they were your "masters" (and seem to think that, at some point in the future, will have the ability to restore that privilege).

Welcome to the the "Twilight Zone"......

Here is a link that might be useful: The Chameleon.....

o

Called an Anole.

o

Yes, that's a Brown Anole...consideed an invasive non native species. It's not a good thing to see these pushing our native anoles out of their territory.

o

Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 21:14

rhizo_1,

You took me to school on that one. I didn't realize there was a difference. I guess I only see the natives - hope it stays that way around here.

Your knowledge is incredible! BTW, do they cross-breed, and do you know the result? Just curious....

o

Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 21:16

rhizo_1,

You took me to school on that one. I didn't realize there was a difference. I guess I only see the natives - hope it stays that way around here.

Your knowledge is incredible! BTW, do they cross-breed, and do you know the result? Just curious....

o

I'd be interested also in knowing how to recognize the non-native one from the native. There does not appear to be much info on the web (at least not easily googled).

Edited to say: there is good info if the dewlap is extended; the non-native one has a whitish outline around the perimeter whereas the native one is red throughout.

This post was edited by esh_ga on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 7:32

o

Since I didn't know about the interbreeding question, I dug around some and not only couldn't I find any comments on the Brown interbreeding withw our native species (Anolis carolinensis), but they've recently pulled it out of the genus Anolis entirely.

It used to be listed as Anolis sagrei but is now Norops sagrei. This isn't done on a whim but indicates that there are significant genetic differences between the two. That makes crossbreeding more unlikely.

I should point out that our pretty little native anole is capable of turning brown before our eyes, even though it is not a chamaeleon. I knew that the animal pictured above was the Brown Norops because of the distinctive stripe down its visible even in that not so great image. :-) A close-up of it would show even more physical characteristics.

Thanks for the nice words, Nelson.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Sun, Dec 1, 13 at 19:00

o

A little off the mark but we have a lot of those light tan colored mediteranian house geckoes around here. Could they also become a problem?

o

Those are officially cute! I can't find a thing negative about them. They don't impact native reptiles and are called "voracious" feeders of moths and other critters that hang around the porch and in the house at night.

They are nocturnal, which makes them predators of things we don't like.....black widows, brown recluse, cockroaches, house centipedes, etc.

They sound like little heros, to me!

o

Those are officially cute! I can't find a thing negative about them. They don't impact native reptiles and are called "voracious" feeders of moths and other critters that hang around the porch and in the house at night.

They are nocturnal, which makes them predators of things we don't like.....black widows, brown recluse, cockroaches, house centipedes, etc.

They sound like little heros, to me!

o

I've seen these in previous years near the coast, Cape San Blas, and didn't realize what they were. I've seen a bunch of them the past few weeks, and very few of the natives. Now this is probably all in my head, but they seem much less friendly and all of them run if I try to get a good look. Anoles *usually* don't mind if your movements aren't too jerky or fast.

...so if they are at all green, they're a native anole? (Is anole a genus and should be capitalized?)

AFAIK, this guy's a native. This is one of a bunch of pics I took of an epic anole fight on 5/17.

o

It started with one in a headlock.

o

That broke up and they circled each other like boxers in a ring, around in a complete circle several times.

o

They they tried a kind of sideways version of chicken. Look at how MAD their faces and eyes are, their whatever sticking up on their backs.

o

Then more circling...

o

More posturing...

o

I guess the lighter green one won, the other one ran away.

o

The winner one climbed up this post, seemingly to make sure the loser left his territory. He didn't calm down (return to regular relaxed appearance) for a while. That was amazing to see!!

o

Super great pictures, purple! Those are our native anoles, Anolis carolinensis. Did you see any babies out of those tender moments?

Our natives can be green or brown, and can change back and forth. That other guy is just brown or grayish brown with the light colored stripe along the spine.

o

TY! I knew the green ones can be brown sometimes but wasn't sure about the other way 'round. The stripe is very distinct.

So do you think this was an attempt at amorous activities? I've not seen the 'raised hackles' or deepened eye sockets during such before, but have only caught that activity in person twice (when there was no question what they were doing.) You can see how into their fight they were, (or foreplay, if that's the case.) I was so close to get those pics.

Took this pic 9/21, can't remember if I've showed it to you elsewhere or not. I think it had just hatched. It had grit all over it & is officially the smallest one I've seen. It was cool to the touch so I assumed that's why it was brown. Maybe it's an invader. I didn't see a stripe, but wasn't looking.

o

July 15, a definite Anole. Hmm...?

o

Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 21:15

What you have there is not a definite Anole. It is the next Geico spokes-lizard! ;-D

BTW - enjoyed the blow-by-blow pictures. And in case folks don't have first-hand knowledge, these little creatures have powerfully strong jaws (either that or I'm some kind of sissy :-O

o

Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 21:17

What you have there is not a definite Anole. It is the next Geico spokes-lizard! ;-D

BTW - enjoyed the blow-by-blow pictures. And in case folks don't have first-hand knowledge, these little creatures have powerfully strong jaws (either that or I'm some kind of sissy :-O

o

Nelson, many years ago I read a short story by the great Southern writer Eudora Welty. In the story, a young girl captures a couple of anoles and lets them latch on to her earlobes. Inspired by that image in my mind, I wore 'green lizard earrings ' several times.

No pain involved for either party, that is until I selected a larger one to attach to my ear. He ended up liking my earlobe a little too much and was not anxious to jump off! Human blood was involved that time and the anole scampered away with a grin.

You're not a sissy, lol.

o

TY, Nelson. Well I'm just glad their ire didn't turn my way! LOL! (Look lady, this isn't a spectator event, get that camera out of our faces or we'll bite your ears!)

o

No geckoes in any of these pics (check the toe structures). Original pic is a Cuban anole- females have a more pronounced stripe. Cuban anoles can change color somewhat, but it is just lighter or darker browns. The battling anoles pics are excellent and is typical of males. They develop that crest as they age. After no frosts last winter, we've had more of both species than ever.

o

Crest, I knew there was a word for that thing, and not hackles. TY, Flatwoods! Glad you liked the pics.

It seems the Cuban ones are slightly larger, longer tail. Is that others' observation also?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here