Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recent Garden Structure Builds

Posted by ronlarimer_zone7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 15:37

My wife and I recently built a home near Charlotte, NC and with the current weather I have not been able to add much to the builders landscape; however, I have been able to build a couple of things.

The 1st was an enclosure to hide the trash and yard waste cans, my wheelbarrow and some extra lumber. I have an aluminum fence on one side that I tried to echo with the detail on the top. I plan on incorporating it into a bed in the spring and use it as a backdrop for a couple of small specimen plants or hydrangeas.

The most recent is a planter box and trellis for the deck. It will be in pretty heavy shade (north facing) so I haven't determined what will go in it yet, but I am open to suggestions.

The other thing that became apparent as I was building the planter was the need for some stepping stones and now I know where they will go...

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recent Garden Structure Builds

You're quite a woodworker! These are lovely. My compost pile is housed in a structure somewhat similar to your trash area.

o

That looks great! Did you have plans to work from? I like the idea of sectioning off the trash cans and wheelbarrow.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Home Garden (my blog)

o

No, both are my designs and were completely built based on measuring what was already there.

For the garbage can fence I measure the width between posts based on my deck to avoid having to rip boards and set the height of the solid portion based on my trash cans.

For the planter I knew how tall I wanted the planter ledge to be a comfortable seat and I wanted the top of the trellis to be under 8'. Other than that they were completely unscripted.

o

Good work...looks very sturdy and well designed. Building your own is so much better and soul-satisfying than anything you could buy, even if it weren't almost impossible to find attractive items for the home landscape.

As for the trellis, check out Trachelospermum asiatica variegata. The variegated leaves are so colorful yearround no flowers are needed, though it does have highly scented small white blooms. Check out photos of several at PenderNursery.com It's wholesale but has great pics and in NC so probably could locate the plants easily at your local nurseries. I grow several varieties and they are bug and diseasefree, thrive in sun or shade. Annual flowers could be grown in your planter in front of the vine if you'd like a little more pizzazz in summer. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendernursery.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here