Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container plant question..

Posted by julianna AR 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 16:30

Hey all! I haven't been back here in years. :) Anyway, I moved from NWA to the Delta here in Jonesboro. I got this apartment with a north-facing balcony (not my choice) which sees zero direct sun but it is bright light (my large philodendron does well on the other side of the french doors and has put on a lot of new growth). I got here in June and tried putting out some impatiens-- which was a huge failure. They heat-stressed and died (not really dried out.. I'm from NV and I remember heat stress well). Any ideas as to what should do well in the shade and offer some color? I'm thinking I need a bigger pot to provide some insulation second time around for sure. I was considering an Aucuba and maybe some liriope. It's sad though as I really wish I had more sun and could do flowering annuals like marigolds, zinnias, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container plant question..

Hellebores, dwarf azaleas, dwarf nandina, heuchera.

o

Wax or other begonias would be great for those conditions. What about beautiful foliage, like coleus, Caladiums, Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus?) So pretty, flowers aren't necessary.

o

Torenia will love your conditions. I have a pot on my porch that has evergreen Autumn Fern, Carex Evergold, and blue trailing torenia in it through the summer. In the winter, I take cuttings from the torenia and bring it in. Then Arum Italicum Pictum bulbs come up in the space where the torenia was in summer. It's a beautiful pot.

If you want big plants, the Aucuba should do well. Also hydrangeas (there are smaller cultivars like Pia). You could also try Camellias.

o

I love the idea of camellias, but I'm scared of them heat-stressing. Thanks guys for all your suggestions! Donnabaskets-- that does sound really nice. I'm thinking of things which are fast-growing so aucuba came to mind (I remember it as being fast growing... I hope I am remembering correctly). Your carex pot idea made me think-- maybe a pot with aucuba and liriope and a second one with hardy begonias like purpleinopp suggested with my sedums and semps at the base? They did fine this summer on my balcony.

o

I grow both camellia japonicas and sasanquas. I have never known any of them to stress in the heat and they are very drought tolerant too. (A plus in pots, though you should definitely keep them watered, probably daily, in summer.)You could also try the sasanqua camellias. They will take alot (ALOT) of sun (heat) even here in east central Mississippi, but also do well on the north side of my house. I love them. Shishigashira is lovely (rose: low and spreading), as is Snow on the Mountain (white: mounding to about 4 feet. Very dark green foliage.), and Yuletide(red with yellow center: upright, relatively fast growing).

o

We're likely leaving the country is 4 years or so.. is it worth it to get a camellia or will they be too slow-growing? Also curious as to what size pot your carex arrangement is in. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here