Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody else growing Alstoemeria psittacina?

Posted by Nigella 9a-steamy (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 2:29

I have had these parrot lilies for a long time and have very much enjoyed them. I've noticed that the foliage I see in pictures doesn't have the streaky yellow variegation that mine have. I'm wondering if this is normal or if there's something weird about mine. They seem healthy enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody else growing Alstoemeria psittacina?

Is the foliage marked this way throughout the year? If it is, this may be a virus. It is difficult to test for viruses but your county extention agent could have pathologists at the University of Florida look at it. If it turns out to be a virus, there is a good chance that it is specific to alstroemeria and will not affect other plants in your garden. Just to be sure, it will be best if you do not trim this plant and then use the clippers or knife on other plants, especially other alstroemerias. The parrot lily is so vigorous that it may continue to thrive in your garden with a virus. Personally, I would grub it out, put all of the pieces in a trash bag, and start fresh just to make sure the disease doesn't spread.

o

Hi, the consensus on the Name That Plant forum is that this is definitely a virus but it's been around so long that if it were going to affect the other plants it would have done so. These plants were among the first things I planted in my garden and I had an almost unlimited source, for free. It would take some real effort to try to dig them all, lol.

Personally I like the streaky variegation, it looks like bursts of fireworks to me, and makes a good winter substitute for flowers.

o

I like it too, Margaret. That's one of the plants I was warned not to plant when I first got here because it would take over, and if a little virus keeps it under control and isn't affecting other plants I say go with it!

o

Yes, they do take over, so take advantage of it. I use them as a ground cover in beds that have partial sun. They are an attractive ground cover, but they don't climb, and when they flower it is spectacular.

o

That is sold and traded as variegated Alstoemeria here in the gulf coast of Texas.Jessie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here