Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Straw Bales - A Weird Growing Medium?

Posted by thapranksta Mid TN 6B (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 9:23

We purchased straw bales for Autumn decorations earlier this season. 2 of the bales remained in a dry location on our porch while another sat in the yard on a mulch bed exposed to the elements.

By the time I got ready to remove the decorations, the bales on the porch were very light and easy to move. Meanwhile, the bale in the yard was heavy and I thought it was just from moisture. I put the bale in the garage for almost a week without seeing exactly what it looked like as I moved it at night.

To my surprise, there was green grass growing in it. There were what looked like young mushrooms with black tops growing. And then there were slugs. And it was still pretty heavy. I'm just amazed at how it turned into it's own little ecosystem. Is it normal that all these organisms turned the straw into a home?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Straw Bales - A Weird Growing Medium?

yes, it is normal for that to happen as the straw bales have begun to decompose with the addition of moisture. in fact, there are quite a few web sites that give instructions for a current trend of gardening like this. do a search for "straw bale gardening". a co-worker told me he intends to do this next growing season because of limited space in his yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here