Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (4)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

An average can't change the cold hard facts of occasional real winter. I question the placement of some of these lines, as I sit here freezing my backside off.

I'm a few miles N of the FL border in the middle of AL. Clearly this is Z8, and this year the 'B' is in question. The averages might point to Z9, it looks like the line falls barely south of here on the linked map, but I really don't think I'll have any Caladiums showing up this spring, after the weather this month. Don't think the ferns that survived fine last winter are still alive. Haven't seen Persian shield in anybody else's yard but if it shows up again, the oldest plants will be 5. Haven't lived here long enough to know, but I sure don't see a lot of these around. If they regularly survived winters like this one, I think they would be a much more common sight in other people's yards. I hope I'm wrong.

It looks like the Cape San Blas peninsula in the FL panhandle is included in Z10. Repeated frost this year, 3-5 nights in a row. Can plants hardy only to Z10 live through the weather there so far this month, with the same pattern predicted to continue? I'm not sure, and I know there's no guarantees in gardening based on what people think a plants' zone is, and that many variables come into plan in regard to a plants' survival.

Whatever a map says, It seems like this is a winter that will show people what their zone is, or which plants can survive, or whatever you want to decide.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NoFL or SoAL seems to have similar climate to Mid-SC. Yes, we had two mild winters (20F and up as lows one night, the rest above 25F), which supposedly put us into z9A and even almost to z9B. This winter because of one night at 12F (Jan. 7) or 14F we are back to z8A. It could've been worse as we had down to 0F or -1F in mid 80s (z6B/7A). Today the high was 31F and the low 23F. Weird. I no longer plan on growing palms that grow in the zone 9A, but I will continue growing ones that grow in z8B and colder since one cold snap of a couple hours of 12F may not kill most of the plants that are graded to z8B.

Past two winters even the potted seedlings of palms survived outdoors. This winter all sizes got brown and damaged. Of course, a lot of potted palms were fine this year, with some damage. European fans, Washingtonias, even the Wash. filiferas got damage. The only ones with no damage are Pindos, Windmills and Sabals. Also, the potted Jubaeaxbutias and Butia eriospatha got no damage at all. And what's weirdest, that the potted seedlings of a Bismarck Palm (graded to zone 10) that stay outside all the time this winter so far are fine, although I do cover them for the frosty nights with a holed nursery pot. Bismarcks exposed to 12F under a nursery pot and survived? Then they come back later in spring or summer, but will they make it long term as a larger palms? Most likely not. Unless they harden off and become miraculously nativized in SC.

They say the outer islands in SC are also zone 10.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp, I forgot to mention one point. This 2013/14 winter could be a freak event caused by excessive chemtrailing. The global warming could be happening, but the cold temps may be caused by the combined factors of chemtrails + arctic ice melting causing temporary cool down. If you don't know what chemtrails are, check on Google and Youtube. Avoid controlled/mass/mainstream media. Those are also called aerosol persistent contrails or geo-engineering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information on chemtrails

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spanish media has laboratory analysis and under microscope view of those Angel's Hair Threads. So there goes the proof for you, my gardening friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYsWUAXoAd4

Just want to add, I talked to several honest doctors in Switzerland, United States and India and they admitted that the stuff that we sent to the lab abmd came out positive with all kinds of heavy metals can cause heart disease, asthma and even lung cancer. They pinpointed: "especially lung cancer".

And here's a video in France which demonstrates clearly what you can find in any yard, on a fence, on your car top, on your hair, hands, shoes, grass, trees, wiring and inside of your lungs, almost on a daily basis:

Watch this fantastic video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXyCSmx7bc0

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Angel's Hair' under microscope and after the lab analysis

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz