Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeniagurl

Lantana and Gardenias

gardeniagurl
17 years ago

I've been nursing along 4 Gardenia plants and am now having some success. The yellowing is starting to reverse and I've got new growth. Now I think I just need to cut back on the Mg. Although how do you know when your doing too much of a good thing? I don't want to burn up the plants with too much of something when before they were yellowing from not enough of it. When is enough, enough?

Also I've got some lantana that has been doing great till now. Started as a tiny bit of a plant and is now full and leafy. But it's also getting small greyish dry spots on the leaves. I'm not seeing any pests, and I've looked closely. Is this fertilizer burn, or something else?

Comments (5)

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

I have three gardenias, spaced 6 feet apart in the same bed. Two do well. One gets a lot of yellow leaves during the summer. I don't do anything, and the one with the yellow leaves eventually greens up again and blooms as well as the others.
    The one with the yellow leaves is not growing as well as the others, but nothing on that end of the bed grows as well as the other plants and shrubs in the bed. I don't know what changes in those six feet, but the ferns, hostas, daphne, and hellebores at one end of the bed are much larger and healthier looking than the ones at the other end. The only difference I can detect is the amount of sun. So if your gardenias aren't too large to move, I would consider transpanting them to more shade.

• gardeniagurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It could be the sun. I have them in the frount of the house and it's sunny through most of the day with lots in the morning time. I'm not seeing any sun burn or scourch like I have gotten with orchids and bromelides. Aren't gardenias supposed to be sun lovers? I tell ya I am so confused. HA!

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

check out this site. It says "light shade to sun", but my experience is that they do better with some shade, rather than full sun especially in your zone, during part of the day. I often see the yellow leaves on mine and neighbor plants. These leaves drop off and the nice new green come on. I think that part of the yellowing is the natural shedding.

Now, it could be that you have an insect infestation. Check the underside of the leaf.

I think that there is a fungus that attacks lantana. I have had good luck spraying mine when I spray my camellias and azaleas.
    Good luck!! Gardenias are just wonderful plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardenia

• fossil
    17 years ago

A bit off topic, but my experience with lantana and azalea is that lantana is allelopathic and was in the process of killing my dwarf azaleas until I finally realized what the problem was. I am in the process of removing my yellow lantana and keeping only the bed that is isolated from other plants.

• gardeniagurl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

fossil, please pardon my ignorance, but what does allelopathic mean?

Sponsored