Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeray_gw

Japanese Maples in the Lower South

Joeray
16 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone in the hot, humid lower south is successfully growing Japanese maples, and if so, what variety. I live in Baton Rouge, Lousiana and I see a red/burgundy JM growing several blocks from my house, appearing healthy and hardy, mabe 15 feet tall. I've never seen the owners so I haven't been able to ask them about it. I would like to plant a JM and have it grown like that but everything that I read discourages me from trying, saying that they like the cooler northern climes, zones 4-8, and will be very difficult to grown to hot, humid south Louisiana. Anyone out there with success stories with JM in our area?

I tried posting this on the LA/MS forum but got little response, which is not unusual for the LA/MS forum. I'll expand the geographical area try this again in the Southern gardening forum. Anyone? Thanks

Comments (8)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

You should have no problem growing JM's in your area. They are hardy in USDA Zones 5-9 and many are grown in Southern California.
    Check with some local nurseries to see which ones's they are selling. Be prepared for sticker shock though! The larger trees usually command a price of several hundred $.
    Most of the cultivars are grafted onto the common JM seedling rootstock and some can be extremely slow growing.
    The JM linearlobum group, with long, strap-like leaf segments, can attain heights of 20-30+ft., but the dissectum group, with narrow, thread-like leaf segments, are usually more dwarf and weeping.
    Now is a good time to plant one. I planted a A.p.'Shaina' this week. :Rb

• buford
    16 years ago

I'm not as far south as you, but can tell you that they prefer shade to sun in the south. I had a lace leaf that I had in my front (full sun) and it didn't do well. I transplanted it to my back yard where it is in mostly shade with dappled sun and some afternoon sun in mid summer. It grew about 2 feet the first year (even though it's a slow grower). We added a second one that was also doing well. Unfortunately both were damaged by the Easter freeze this year and I lost some growth on both. But they survived and I hope they will do well again next year.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    16 years ago

I live about 50 miles from the gulf and many people grow them here. I do agree that they look best in partial shade. Most people plant them underneath pine trees so they can get dappled sunlight throughout the day.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

I suggest you try one of several variations of the BloodGood strain. I'm in Birmingham and the Bloodgoods do well here. They are REDS like the ones you admire.

• Donna
    16 years ago

I live in Meridian, MS., which is probably not much farther north than you are. The Bloodgoods (purpley red all spring and summer, red in the fall) do extremely well here, and so do the species Japanese Maples. A Bloodgood that is about 15 feet tall is likely 20 years old or more.

I believe that it's the fancy hybrids and grafted trees that are pretty well disastrous this far south, though I understand that Seiyru does well too. What's important is getting the conditions right: afternoon shade, if possible, and consistent moisture, though not soppy wet.
    The species is far more tolerant of our heat. Mine gets sun nearly all day long. They will grow much faster and be much, much less expensive. Mine has red new foliage and stems in the spring, green in the summer, and brilliant, fiery red in the fall. It has just as nice a form as any of the fancy ones. I bought it two years ago for about $80 and it was about five feet tall when I bought it. It's coming along very nicely. If you have a friend who has a healthy, happy maple, ask for seedlings. They seed like mad around their base where they are happy and the seedlings will be the species. Look for one with pretty leaf form and color. Or...ask for seeds. I have a friend who grows JMs from seed and sells them at our Master Gardeners sale.

Seiyru has very lacy leaves, is green in the summer and butter yellow in the fall. I have seen it a few places around our town and it is beautiful. A two foot one is about $125. See what I mean?

• Joeray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm considering trying to start some Bloodgood seeds as I'm not particularly interested in fancy varieties and like to start plants from seeds. A firm in Virginia sells the Bloodgood seeds (japanese-maple.com) but I'm thinking it would be better to get seeds from a parent tree in my area. I know that the seedlings would not all look like the parent tree but I think that would be interesting too, sort of like opening Christmas presents. I've looked at the tree in my neighborhood and I don't see any maple keys on it. It's planted in a bed of monkey (Mondo?) grass and I don't see any baby plants below it. Anyway, thanks for the replies; I was just wondering if I would be wasting my time trying to grow Japanese maples in my climate.

• georgia-rose
    16 years ago

joeray,
    Check your neighborhood tree in early spring, about the time new foliage is emerging, is when the seed appear. Some trees produce few seed, some none at all.
    Squirrels love them and may be picking the tree clean before the seed have matured and dehisced, if any are produced.
    Around here, the seedlings are pass-along plants and one can usually find a number of gardeners willing to share.

• flowermum
    16 years ago

Have you considered planting them in containers? I have two Japanese Maples in containers near my front door. If you'd like to see pictures, I'd happily send one to you.

I mentioned container planting because it would afford you the ease of repositioning, and allow for more maneuverability in case they needed more light or less light in your chosen spot for them.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals