Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

What's blooming outside in your area now (winter?)

Camellia
Azalea
Narcissus
Gardenia
Vinca (periwinkle)
wax Begonias
knockout roses
pansies

Comments (19)

• wezzie321
    11 years ago

Camellia
    Knockout rose

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot the snapdragons.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

Camellias, beach sunflowers and sweet williams. The carolina jessamines should be blooming. The warm weather must have messed them up!

• carol23_gw
    11 years ago

Hellebores, snowdrops, winter aconite, Camellias, pansies. Jasminum nudiflorum.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

snowdrops, hyacinth, daisy (it forgot its supposed to still be sleeping I suppose)

buds on - Bearded Iris 'Juicy Fruit' & another I'd have to go & look up, forgot the name at the moment

My green daffs have buds also.

Rain just knocked the flowers off of my 'Candycane' oxalis.

1st year in several that my Camellia hasn't bloomed. But is healthier than ever. And I actually remembered to fertilize it last spring. Go figure.

Rena'

Original Author
    11 years ago

Uhoh, I saw about half a dozen pretty pink Magnolia trees blooming yesterday, between Opp and Geneva, then I drove up 27 to Enterprise and saw more on that road too. The night temps look dangerous by the weekend... enjoy them while they last!

My new little confederate roses cuttings are leafing out too... I don't think that's good.

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

Camellia
    Gardenia
    Dianthus
    Pentas
    Hibiscus
    Vinca
    Jasmine (just a few flowers)
    Glorybower
    Geraniums
    Snapdragons
    Poinsettia
    Kalanchoe
    Aloe
    Butterfly Weed
    baby Lime and baby Lemon trees (12" tall)
    Alyssum
    Guara (few flowers)

Original Author
    11 years ago

For some reason this one Persian shield plant (Strobilanthes dyerianus) hasn't been knocked down by frost, and is blooming! Never seen this before except in pics.

Original Author
    11 years ago

A closer pic of blooms, they're small and not that flashy, but very welcome on a January afternoon!

• topsiebeezelbub
    11 years ago

Same as the other z9 person, but add Mahonia...with bees buzzing round it, winter honeysuckle, Georgia Blue veronica, and I saw a row of plum trees in bloom though they probably froze black last night.

• topsiebeezelbub
    11 years ago

Same as the other z7 person, but add Mahonia...with bees buzzing round it, winter honeysuckle, Georgia Blue veronica, and I saw a row of plum trees in bloom though they probably froze black last night.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

camellia, a couple of roses, snapdragons, brug occasionally (surprise there!), a small aloe, don't know what kind, alyssum, Osmanthus (yummy), salvias: Wendy's Wish, pineapple sage, and wild coccinea; most of my kalanchoes, one hibiscus, one narcissus, one echiverea, impatiens, vincas, and hopefully my Mexican plum will bloom soon.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to report the Magnolia trees did fine, so glad. They're about finished now, but totally enjoyed driving by all the pretty ones out there the past few weeks!!

Pink Oxalis has started.
    My neighbor's yard is starting to turn beautifully purple! Glechoma I think.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Now I think that's probably Lamium, with the Glechoma to come later...?

A few frosts the past few days. How lucky were those Magnolias?! Next time winter actually shows up, it's going to be a real shock. AFAIK, the lowest temp here has been 27. (Knock wood!)

• AuntBarbie
    11 years ago

And we mustn't forget the lowly nasturtium. My hanging baskets and big bowls have been alive with color since October!

Original Author
    11 years ago

I wouldn't call that lowly at all!

There's some kind of scraggly vine with small yellow trumpet flowers that smells really good right now.

Noticed DH's Mom's Lady Banks rose was blooming on Saturday.

• amanda_m
    11 years ago

Witch hazel, snowdrops, and tom. crocus. There is a quote I found the other day:

"The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size."
    - Gertrude S. Wister

Isn't that the truth?

Original Author
    11 years ago

No doubt, Amanda!!

The redbud trees are blooming - fantastic!
    Bridal wreath Spireas are also putting on quite a show.
    Azaleas are still kickin' in high gear.
    Forget-me-nots (Myosotis type) are also cranking up.

Usually in the midst of spring by now but the switch won't be flipped until tomorrow, at least here - 1 more cold night, to finally end this long-but-never-very-cold winter, (and the calendar says Spring starts the 22nd like always, I'm sure.)

• pamelagrace
    11 years ago

Daffodils, crocus, are on the way out. Daphne and Edgeworthia are still fragrant but fading. Forsythia is coming on as are the plum trees. The Hellbores and all of their glory have been amazing.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?