Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's blooming outside in your area now (winter?)

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 15:26

Camellia
Azalea
Narcissus
Gardenia
Vinca (periwinkle)
wax Begonias
knockout roses
pansies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's blooming outside in your area now (winter?)

Camellia
Knockout rose

o

Forgot the snapdragons.

o

Camellias, beach sunflowers and sweet williams. The carolina jessamines should be blooming. The warm weather must have messed them up!

o

Hellebores, snowdrops, winter aconite, Camellias, pansies. Jasminum nudiflorum.

o

snowdrops, hyacinth, daisy (it forgot its supposed to still be sleeping I suppose)

buds on - Bearded Iris 'Juicy Fruit' & another I'd have to go & look up, forgot the name at the moment

My green daffs have buds also.

Rain just knocked the flowers off of my 'Candycane' oxalis.

1st year in several that my Camellia hasn't bloomed. But is healthier than ever. And I actually remembered to fertilize it last spring. Go figure.

Rena'

o

Uhoh, I saw about half a dozen pretty pink Magnolia trees blooming yesterday, between Opp and Geneva, then I drove up 27 to Enterprise and saw more on that road too. The night temps look dangerous by the weekend... enjoy them while they last!

My new little confederate roses cuttings are leafing out too... I don't think that's good.

o

Camellia
Gardenia
Dianthus
Pentas
Hibiscus
Vinca
Jasmine (just a few flowers)
Glorybower
Geraniums
Snapdragons
Poinsettia
Kalanchoe
Aloe
Butterfly Weed
baby Lime and baby Lemon trees (12" tall)
Alyssum
Guara (few flowers)

o

For some reason this one Persian shield plant (Strobilanthes dyerianus) hasn't been knocked down by frost, and is blooming! Never seen this before except in pics.

o

A closer pic of blooms, they're small and not that flashy, but very welcome on a January afternoon!

o

Same as the other z9 person, but add Mahonia...with bees buzzing round it, winter honeysuckle, Georgia Blue veronica, and I saw a row of plum trees in bloom though they probably froze black last night.

o

Same as the other z7 person, but add Mahonia...with bees buzzing round it, winter honeysuckle, Georgia Blue veronica, and I saw a row of plum trees in bloom though they probably froze black last night.

o

camellia, a couple of roses, snapdragons, brug occasionally (surprise there!), a small aloe, don't know what kind, alyssum, Osmanthus (yummy), salvias: Wendy's Wish, pineapple sage, and wild coccinea; most of my kalanchoes, one hibiscus, one narcissus, one echiverea, impatiens, vincas, and hopefully my Mexican plum will bloom soon.

o

Glad to report the Magnolia trees did fine, so glad. They're about finished now, but totally enjoyed driving by all the pretty ones out there the past few weeks!!

Pink Oxalis has started.
My neighbor's yard is starting to turn beautifully purple! Glechoma I think.

o

Now I think that's probably Lamium, with the Glechoma to come later...?

A few frosts the past few days. How lucky were those Magnolias?! Next time winter actually shows up, it's going to be a real shock. AFAIK, the lowest temp here has been 27. (Knock wood!)

o

And we mustn't forget the lowly nasturtium. My hanging baskets and big bowls have been alive with color since October!

o

I wouldn't call that lowly at all!

There's some kind of scraggly vine with small yellow trumpet flowers that smells really good right now.

Noticed DH's Mom's Lady Banks rose was blooming on Saturday.

o

Witch hazel, snowdrops, and tom. crocus. There is a quote I found the other day:

"The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size."
- Gertrude S. Wister

Isn't that the truth?

o

No doubt, Amanda!!

The redbud trees are blooming - fantastic!
Bridal wreath Spireas are also putting on quite a show.
Azaleas are still kickin' in high gear.
Forget-me-nots (Myosotis type) are also cranking up.

Usually in the midst of spring by now but the switch won't be flipped until tomorrow, at least here - 1 more cold night, to finally end this long-but-never-very-cold winter, (and the calendar says Spring starts the 22nd like always, I'm sure.)

o

Daffodils, crocus, are on the way out. Daphne and Edgeworthia are still fragrant but fading. Forsythia is coming on as are the plum trees. The Hellbores and all of their glory have been amazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here