Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Plantings

Posted by BJCEugeneOR Alabama (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 27, 04 at 21:05

I live and garden in Eugene, Oregon. My husband and I recently inherited some land located in Calhoun County Alabama not far from the Koosa (sp?) river. I am looking for your favorite publications on native plantings in this area. We do not intend to build on this land, but wish to improve it's native landscape. I would enjoy any input as well.

Thanks! BJC Eugene, OR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Plantings

You can call the Calhoun County Extension Systems in Anniston, 256-237-1621. Their website.
Bloomin' Miracles

651 Whites Gap Road
Jacksonville
256/435-2717

is a good nursery to check for natives.

Welcome to gardenweb. Do drop in on the

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama Forum

o

Good for you! and that's Coosa River. Don't know if you canoe or kayak but that is a good river for it. The 2 best books for AL are Wildflowers of Alabama by Blanche Dean and Alabama Wildflowers by Jan Midgley. There is also an Alabama Wildflower Society whose members are quite knowledgeable and I expect many would be delighted to tour your property and identify plants and make suggestions. Linda

o

"Gardening with Native Plants of the South" is another good resource.

o

hi bjc,
this link if for a nursery that lists many beautiful native plants for our area, including a good selection of native azaleas that have been developed.
a book that i use is "wildflowers of alabama and adjoining states" by dean, mason and thomas. this should be the same one mentioned above by linda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dodd natives

o

Well hello neighbor, I live on the Coosa River between Slapout and Wetumpka.

o

• Posted by Nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 29, 04 at 20:32

Hi BJC!

Calhoun County is, IMHO, home of some of the most scenic land in the state. I think you'll agree once you've had a chance to look around.

"Welcome" to our part of the country, and get ready for some heapin' helpin's of Southern hospitality!

Nelson

o

HTH
Native plants of N AL and surrounding regions

Trees of AL

Being nosy.......Are you familiar with the property?

The first thing I'd do is to record the plants that I can identify. Second, I'd take pics of the ones with which I am unfamiliar and get them identified.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here