Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Mel's Mix in containers, 4 years later, WWYD?

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm having a moment of "What Would Gardenweb Do?" WWGD?

I'm feeling conflicted on what to do with some older Mel's Mix that I've been using in my above-ground raised planter boxes for the last few years. These are fairly large, 2 foot deep, 4' wide doug fir planter boxes I built with plywood bottoms on wheels. (So I can roll them around my concrete patio.)

Mel's book says you *can* use the mix in containers. So I did, long before I ever really got the hang of the Al's 511 mix. (I actually do use the 511 on my citrus and potted ornamentals.)

Some may be surprised to hear this, but I have had enormous success over the years using Mel's Mix in these containers, growing lots of tomatoes, peppers, and beans especially. (Squash and melons, not so much.)

I do realize that the nutrients inherent in the compost are being washed away on a regular basis, so I do regularly fertilize with EB Stone/Dr. Earth powdered ferts and a few times a growing season I use a weak liquid 3-3-3 organic. The boxes are loaded with worms all year round.

Each year I've mixed back in a fresh layer of compost... mainly a bagged wood-based compost with added chicken manures. Like a "Bumper Crop" or "Harvest Surpreme". So each year I add a couple bags of fairly coarse compost, and the rest of the mels mix is peat and perlite which, at least according to Mel, don't break down.

So it may not be the 5-1-1, but it has provided us with a lot of home-grown, good tasting veggies. Which was my goal. I may not win any prizes at the state fair, and I might grow much more in a gritty mix with Miracle Grow, but that wasn't my objective.

Anyway, I realize this is directly contradictory to the prevailing theory over on the container forum. There is a great big disconnect between those that say you can grow in compost in a container, and those that say you can't.

So, my dliemma is this... I know, theoretically, that this planting mix has gotten older and more condensed, even though Mel says that Peat and Vermiculite don't compress. If I just trust what I read in Mel's book, I would add more compost and go about my way and never look back.

But I know *too* much... LOL

I can just hear Al telling me in my inner obi-wan voice to toss this and create some gritty mix, but I can't afford to and I don't believe (based on past success) that I actually NEED to throw it all out.

I would LIKE to try to add more compost and/or composted wood material to this mix and continue growing with it, espeically after such a huge cash outlay on the peat and vermiculite.

But I am wondering, after 4 years, can I continue to amend the Mix (when used in a container). Or is it truly depleted and un-usable?

SNIBB... you still here? Has Mel ever used his mix in a container after 3-4 years? What would Mel say, or you say, at this point?

Any words of encouragement, or words of advice?

Remember, I really do appreciate all your help here. (Almost) Everything I ever learned about Gardening I got on Gardenweb. :-)

Thanks, everyone!

Comments (7)

• snibb
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kristie...you can use the mix for containers. Mel lived in a small apartment a couple of years ago and had several containers on the balcony. I know he used them for at least a couple of years and he would just put more of his mix in the springtime or early summer. I have used the mix in a large container pot to grow rhubarb with great success. I'm not sure if I have a picture of that or not, but I will take some shots of that this year. I always add my compost throughout the season though, and I top the pot off at the end of the year. That's what I would say anyway. Hope that helps out....

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Snibb, thanks for replying.

Do you know if Mel has ever used Azomite or Rock Dust or Greensand in his mix?

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Weird, there was another post here and it's not showing up now. Is it my computer's cache?

• snibb
    12 years ago

No, I think its me. This thing has been screwing my posts up now for a couple of days. Its erased two of my last posts to you. Im going to give a call to see whats going on.

• snibb
    12 years ago

Lets try this one again...since Ive known him he has not used any of those items. I think he used to use some other things like bone and blood meal, lime, charcoal, and some things like that back in the day. But, through trial and error he discovered that it didnt do him any more good than what his soil is now and, it was a lot less expensive(and less of a hassle).

• deriter
    12 years ago

I am new to this forum and the sq ft gardening plan. The question I have after reading Mels sq ft gardening is how long does the mix last. I understand that you add compost each year, but does the mix ever need replacing? I noticed kristimama that you say you have worms in your mix in an above ground planter with plywood bottom. I wonder how the worms could get there? Seems like they would have to come from the ground or maybe from you compost? This was what I was wondering about the boxes you set on the ground without the bottom. If the worms get in the mix, having a heavy clay soil, do the worms degrade the mix by bringing in clay. I know it is recommended to use a weed fabric to stop the weeds, but it would eventually go away. I live in Iowa, so if the worms somehow got in before the weed fabric rotted away, I believe they would freeze in the winter.

• snibb
    12 years ago

detrider...I wouldnt worry about worms bringing up clay to ruin things. Mels mix wont have to be replaced, only added to with compost-either homemade or commercially purchased(some a lot better than others). You also dont have to put a weed barrier down if you are planting over just dirt. I've had my soil in now for 12 years and Ive never had to spend money to replace any of the mix components. Just put it in, take care of it, dont walk on it, and then add compost during the year. It will lose volume because is does continue to decompose more quickly than most gardens because this mix is 33% compost. Just a though...

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County