Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Contemplating a Wonderberry

Posted by penguin19 USDA 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 06 at 1:23

Anyone have experience growing Wonderberry (related to huckleberries) in a Square foot garden? Please share it - I'm thinking about ordering some seeds and am unsure how it would work. I'm also curious if it would work better in a container on its own instead. Thanks in advance!
penguin, zone 5

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Contemplating a Wonderberry

It's not related to the huckleberry; it's a nightshade family. Only ripe berries are non-poisonous. Generally treated as an annual, but will produce fruit in 2 - 3 months. For SFG, I would space as tomatoes/peppers are spaced. Very small shrub, usually growing to only 12-24". The wonderberry can fruit at just 3-4" high. The plants are exceedingly easy to grow and care is similar to the tomato, except that wonderberries tend to be less picky about temperature and water, and generally fruit much faster.

o

but are wonderberries tastey at all?

o

The internet is your friend.

"Wonderberries are somewhat sweet, and certainly far better tasting than Garden Huckleberries, with which the berries are often confused. That being said, and the name notwithstanding, the berries still don't taste of much of anything when eaten fresh out of hand, and are consequently best used in preserves and pies."

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

Well, I tell you, these forums are a fount of information. Here is another forum with more interesting history and detail on wonderberry; it sounds similar to the use of crowberry up north - not the best taste but great filler and you eat a lot of them anyway. Solanum family generally doesn't mind containers or root restriction. I wonder if I can spare a container this spring...

Dan

o

I grow wonderberries in a 3-foot kiddie pool. Here's a picture of the wonderberry garden. If you look close, you'll see some fruit. There are also a few huckleberry plants mixed in. I don't have as much luck growing hucks as I do the wonderberries, but would much prefer a bumper crop of huckleberries since it takes less to make a pie. that's all I ever do with them, though as a child I sure loved wonderberry dumplings!

o

I have gardened a LONG time and have tried several of the annual berry plants. Wonderberry is as good as any but in truth the taste is just not much. You will have to use a lot of sugar, maybe some lemon, etc to make a decent pie. They will do you until real blueberry plants start producing, assuming you'll be planting those. Hard to beat the taste of a real blueberry tho.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here