Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large crop spacing? Smothered their neighbors

Posted by queenofthemountain 9b SoCal (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 1:56

I put in raised beds late last year and planted fall crops in 12" squares per the book. I planted several successions of cauliflower, broccoli, rapini and brussels sprouts. The outer rows did great, but the inner 2 rows had spotty performance. The last planting totally failed because by the time it went in the previous plants were large enough to shade it completely.

I re-read the book last night but it doesn't say anything about larger crops smothering their neighbors. So what are the best strategies to avoid this?

Larger squares for larger plants? Logically this makes sense to me, but maybe it conflicts with the overall premise of SFG.

Stagger spacing of large plants? My cole crops are so big, it seems like they would have been a problem for anything smaller nearby.

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large crop spacing? Smothered their neighbors

Hello, All my cole crops are planted 18"-24" apart in staggered rows. As for broccoli, plant a variety that produces side shoots for a longer harvest.

o

I appreciate any thoughts on this.

The lack of detail means we can only guess and make general statements. But this should suffice:

Larger crops will smother their neighbors if they are planted too close to them. You can avoid this by planting them according to their mature size.

Dan

o

I checkerboard my large crops as well. Then they can get all the space they need.

Yes, technically you can do the one per sqft., but as you said, production is affected. Broccoli and cabage are two crops I've noticed that take much more room than is recomended, but, if you give them that room, the size of your heads will increase as well.

o

• Posted by Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum