Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ezzirah011

Keep the cats out of the beds

ezzirah011
14 years ago

I am looking for a non harmful, cheap way to keep the neighborhood cats from using my beds as a litter box. I realized as I was building them in the garage that the neighborhood cats are going to have a field day with this...

any ideas? I heard moth balls , but that destroys their kidney's and kills them, cayenne pepper works, but causes them to scratch their eyes out...HELP!

Comments (14)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Liquidambar seed pods. Blackberry prunings. Consumer products could be carpet tack strip, nylon fine-mesh netting, flypaper.

Dan

• jeremyjs
    14 years ago

I don't know how it works outside, but tape with the sticky side up. Placed where you don't want the cat to be up will quickly teach them not to go there. Cats go absolutely insane when they get something stuck to their paws and learn the lesson quickly. You could also put a bunch of thorny prunings in the bed. Go find a something thorny, cut it into 1-2 foot long pieces and lay then all over the bed. They don't like that either.

• bsntech
    14 years ago

I had this problem early on last year. Right after I made my strawberry pyramids, I saw cat droppings in the beds.

The problem was corrected for me by putting deer netting over the top of them. In my large beds, I have to use some PVC pipe as posts and then use deer netting all around the sides. This keeps all the critters out - not just cats.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

I used to have a horrible problem with stray cats. I now use window screen rolled out, sometimes cardboard, and sometimes just sticks laid on bare spots. My neighbor uses indoor/outdoor carpet.

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you everyone for the great ideas.

kathmcd7 - did you put it across the beds like row covers, or around the outside?

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

I'm glad you got some good ideas. I just lay the screen across the beds or cut it to size. It's only about $5.00 a roll at the big box stores and doesn't rust, so I can reuse it too!

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

one more question kath, I apologize for bothering you so much, but do you cut holes for the plants after you lay it across the rows? or just pull it off when the plants start to grow?

I love the screen idea, cheap, you can water through it...Thanks!

• codyg
    14 years ago

I use chicken wire cut into 1 ft squares when squares are empty or the seedlings are just starting out. When the plants get bigger, the cats generally stay out.

• andreaz6wv
    14 years ago

I hammered nails around the box and strung fishing wire across the beds and it worked.

I wouldn't mind as much if I had cats. I hate what I have to do b/c of other peoples animals!

Andrea

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

ezzirah - I just saw your question today. Sorry I haven't answered sooner cause I was out of town. I agree with codyg that the cats stay out after the plants get growing. Until then I just use pieces of screen and lay them where there's bare spots. Sometimes small pieces just to fill in. Hope this helps.

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You didn't leave open spaces where plants are growing? or when the plants started growing you moved the screen to all the bare spots?

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

Yes, I cover all areas when I plant seeds and move smaller pieces of screen to cover most of the bare spots when the plants start pushing up the screen. I have lots of small pieces if I need them. The cats seem to go somewhere else just because of the screen, so it's ok if some small areas are not completely covered. The established plants, like bushes etc., I roll out the screen, cut 1/2 way in from the side, and then make the circle around the plant. I also use sticks laid on the ground. For some reason the cats don't like to move them or maybe climb over them. I hope this explains it better.
    Kath

• sqftsteve
    14 years ago

This may be a bit overkill just for cats, but it does keep them out (along with the groundhogs, raccoons, skunks, rabbits, etc).

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA&fmt=18"

{{gwi:1260131}}

{{gwi:1260133}}

Here is a link that might be useful: sqftsteve's YouTube channel

• ezzirah011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kath - thank you very much, that does explain a lot better, I get it now.

steve - get on with your bad self!!!!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath