Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for planning a Fall Flower Garden

Posted by likastarz9 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 9:53

Hi,
New to the site. I've posted this in the Wisconsin and the Tips and Techniques forums too (not sure which is best!).

Basically, I'm just looking for suggestions on which flowers/how to plan my garden so it's full of as many beautiful fall flowers as possible, as cheaply as possible. I want to see if I can grow flowers to add to my wedding decor, so I'm specifically looking at fall flower suggestions (not planning a spring/summer garden).

I am trying to focus on flowers that are in the white and orange color families, so if you know specific breeds I should be looking for, that would help.

I have about 100 sq. feet of garden. Tends to be thicker-clay soil. I don't know if its acidic/alkaline. I'm pretty new to gardening, so I'll take any suggestions....i.e, how to prepare the garden, maintaining it, what flowers to NOT put next to each other, etc. I'm in zone 5.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for planning a Fall Flower Garden

Are you trying to plant a fall *perennial* garden then? Or just a garden for this fall for the special event?

If you were planning a perennial garden, you would be looking for fall bloomers, like chrysanthemum (comes in yellows, orange, reds, purples and whites) and asters. But then you would have to make sure that they came into bloom at the right time for the wedding--which isn't something that I would risk unless I were very experienced with the plant.

A more sure approach would be to plant annual flowers, which should flower continuously until frost. Zinnias are beautiful and bountiful (and some varieties come in those colors), marigolds come in orange, petunias, impatiens come in white, celosias may or may not come in orange, tithonia (Mexican sunflower) is a very striking orange flower, and I think there are even white varieties of sunflower.

Could you tell me how much sun the area gets, and when you want it to be in peak bloom?

Also, check out your zone and tell us your first expected frost of the fall, so we know a little about how risky it will be to make the date.

o
RE: Suggestions for planning a Fall Flower Garden

Hey,
Thanks. I don't care annual/perennial, but that's a good point with the continuous flowering. I was going to try marigolds and mums for sure... and if the mums didn't work, there's always tons for sale that are flowering at the stores around then.

I'm in zone 5. Average expected first frost is October 15th (but we get weird weather, so who knows). Wedding is the beginning of Oct, so I'm hoping to make the cutoff before then.

Area is partial sun, although I can do a few pots of container gardening in full sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here