Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to SFG : need help

Posted by weldontx z 8a TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 10:16

I have started seeds inside and while getting the bed prepped I have been studying what will companion with what. Then I thought of a space that I have that might make a good SFG. It's approx. 2 ft. wide and about 12 - 14 ft. long. I would like to get feed back on this plan. Remember the bed is two ft. wide.
2 ft. Tomatoes; 1 ft onions; 1 ft. lettuce; 1ft. carrots; 2 ft.tomatoes; 1 ft. onion; 2 ft. peppers. I would probably go another 2 ft. with squash, either summer or winter.
Ideas please. I'm in zone 8 Dallas, Ft. Worth, TX. area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to SFG : need help

• Posted by janezee Sunset 5, 8a Whidbey (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 12 at 4:25

Sounds good! You might need 4 squares for each tomato and each squash. That depends on what kind you grow and if you're trellising or staking or sprawling. SunGold, for instance, takes up a lot of room, whereas Lime Green Salad or Red Robin are small and would only need a square each. Not all tomatoes are created equal, nor is their spacing.
Squash, I love. But be prepared for the sprawl of vines like spaghetti squash, or the huge leaves of zucchini.
Either way, you sound like you are on your way. Good luck.

o
RE: New to SFG : need help

Thanks, Jan. I have some veggies that I've winter sown and will probably need to transplant in 2 - 3 weeks. So I hope the bed is ready by then. Help is coming today. The tomatoes that I grow get large, but we'll deal with that

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here