Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers

Posted by roper2008 virginia 7a-8 (lroper99@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 10:30

I use mostly raised beds, but don't practice Mel's system. I have some
4 x 4 raised beds and one 4 x 12. In the 4 x 4 , I was thinking of planting
9 peppers. Would that leave enough for air circulation around plants.
In the 4 x 12, I think I can get at least 12 without too much crowding.
I would love to use course vermiculite, but it is too expensive. They
sell it in small bags at the big box stores.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers

Depends upon the variety and how wide it spreads. I have some vars that can be planted that closely, others that can't.

Dan

o

I use the California Wonder variety. I plant them 24 inches apart in all directions. So, in a 4x4 bed, you could plant four of these kind of pepper plants.

I thought about planting them closer together - like 18 inches - but it is good that I didn't because they grew quite bushy and used up all of that space.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

o

I think I'll try 5 peppers in the 4x4's. Mostly will be planting sweet peppers
and Fat 'n' Sassy Bell Peppers in the beds. My hot peppers will be in
containers. bsntech, I use cinder blocks for some of my beds also. They
aren't pretty, but no one can see them in my back yard. I only do 1 brick
high and plant parsely and low growing flowers in the holes. I makes it
prettier. Thanks for info.
Linda

o

I grew Fat N' Sassy peppers last year in my 3x3 bed. I placed one per square foot and the production was outstanding! I also had Mucho Nacho jalapenos set at one per square foot. Again, great production on very healthy plants. No disease or pest issues. I'll place a link to my site. I have pictures of the Fat N' Sassy peppers posted on it from last season. I would highly recommend the 1' spacing with them. They performed beautifully.
Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Kim's PA Vegetable and Flower Garden

o

I planted Bell Peppers (I think they were California wonders) 1 square foot apart but the beds were also a foot wide so there was nothing growing on two sides of it. Maybe that is why they grew so big. I also had one upside down in a hanging basket but that didnt work out very well. It was shaded by a tree. I dont think I am going to do that again. When thunderstorms came through, I had no place to put them inside except hanging on the back of the chair. That was a hassle!

o

Kim, I have a dumb question. In a 4 x 4 how many Fat 'n Sassy's
would that be?

Linda

o

Linda,
Sixteen plants. It worked out better than I had imagined for me. I think you'll really be happy with that spacing.
Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here