Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I cover my raised beds in winter

Posted by organic_flutterby 5 MO (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 12:17

My husband is home from work (he works away from home) right now and will be able to help me mix up my Mel's mix and fill my 4 new raised beds.

My question is will my mix lose nutrients before I'm able to plant in the spring? Should I cover my beds with a tarp or something or how do I protect them from losing nutrients from winter snow and rain?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I cover my raised beds in winter

Some nutrients will desolve in the water and move out of the range of the roots of your future plants, so, in my view, it should be okay to cover the beds, but not necessary. Sufficient nutrients will remain in the soil around the roots of your future plants to allow them maximum growth potential. If I were you, I would leave them exposed and cover them with a layer of cospost that you can turn under in the spring before planting.

o

I think you should cover the beds to keep from losing nutrients and keep debris off the surface.

I cover mine with clear plastic. This has the advantage of heating up the soil when the sun shines. You can usually get painter's plastic very cheap.

Larry

o

Thank you both for your response. I decided to go ahead and cover them and I did indeed use painter's plastic to do it.

It has held up surprisingly well. I am glad I did it because we have had above average snow and rain and I would hate to think of all that going through the beds.

o

I covered my raised bed with a layer of leaf mulch (free from the county transfer center) and then covered my artichokes with whatever I could find (buckets, tubs and plastic) in the hope of getting the artichokes through the winter. Does not look promising, but time will tell.

o

That is so beautiful! I hope your artichokes make it through. Be sure to update!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here