Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kr222

Pumpkins

kr222
15 years ago

Have any of you tried to grow Orange Smoothie or Bushkin pumpkins? I'm looking to grow my first pumpkin and need one that is short-vined, good for eating, and may be big enough to carve. If anyone has grown Bushkin, could you please tell me where you bought the seeds? I can't seem to find a source in the stores or online. Thanks everyone!

Comments (6)

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I haven't tried either of these, but the bushkin is a burpee owned seed and they don't even carry it, lol, so I suspect you'd be hard pressed to find any. It isn't a hybrid, so you may be able to find someone on the seed exchange forum who has some, but there's no guarantee it would breed true.
    Have you considered the cheyenne? It's supposed to be a hybrid of the New England sugar pie that is productive and a fairly small plant.
    I think I may have some new england sugar pie. I'd be happy to send them to you, but they aren't supposed to be small plants.

• kr222
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carolyn,

I think Bushkin is off the list. If the company that introduced it doesn't sell it, perhaps that says enough. On top of that, if it was a great variety, I think I would have a much easier time finding seed for it.

I've considered Cheyenne, but several sites and a forum member said that it is only so-so for eating. The overall size sounded great, but I don't want to sacrifice taste.

New England Sugar Pie sounds great, but I'm not sure how long the vines will get. Is it possible to keep a pumpkin pruned once it starts to show signs of producing a few fruits? I know I would be decreasing the overall yield, but then I would be able to grow something like New England Sugar Pie.

Kim

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I don't really know, but I'll bet one of our more experienced folks will know.

• carolynp
    15 years ago

BTW: Burpee's charges high postage anyway! $7 on my last order, AND they didn't even put it in a bubble envelope.

• eaglesgarden
    15 years ago

carolyn,

you can prune pumpkins after they show signs of fruiting, this is generally how people grow the biggest pumpkins. They prune all but the best one, and the pumpkin will put more effort into the fruit. But, this technique is primarily to grow BIGGER pumpkins, not just to keep it in a smaller space. I've never heard about doing it with New England Pie. (That obviously doesn't mean that it hasn't or can't be done, but that I haven't run across it.)

Personally, I plan to grow New Eng Pie vertically, and let the chips fall where they may. I figure a 7 foot trellis should be plenty tall. It can always grow back down the far side, if need be. Although, my understanding is that vertically grown squash/pumpkins grow stockier vines than those allowed to sprawl, as they somehow know they are growing up and will need to "try" to support the fruit. They will still need to be supported in slings.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

I've yet to see a short vined pumpkin. I grew two varieties last year, a pie pumpkin and a dill's atlantic giant. Believe it or not, the pie pumpkin vines were more prolific than the atlantic giant. Neither made it to halloween though due to neglect on my part.

Pumpkins not shaded by their leaves will be quicker to get a hard skin and thus crack way before they are ready to be picked. This was a hard experience to learn as I promised my then 2 year old nephew the biggest pumpkin he'd ever seen...well he got it, but it cost me $50 bucks at the farmers market!

This year if I trellis them, I will cover the pumpkins in some sort of shade cloth to keep the skin from hardening and cracking.

So to answer your question, I don't think you'll find a short vine. This is why pumpkins have such big leaves on their long vines to provide natural shading for the delicate pumpkins.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting