Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrunner_gw

Seeds

mtnrunner
15 years ago

Do you guys mail order your seeds or just buy them from a local store? I'm getting pretty serious with gardening so I decided to mail order. Wow, that was expensive. I'm thinking I could have saved a bunch of money buying local. I ordered some from Seeds of Change and some from Johnny Seeds. The seeds are more expensive and the shipping is crazy. Hopefully I get better quality seeds but will the difference be worth the price?

Comments (11)

• jwstell42
    15 years ago

Some heirloom items I ordered from TGS were kind of expensive, but considering I expect 1 packet of each to last me 4 years or so (30 seeds, and I only plant 2-3 plants of each type each year), I thought it was reasonable.

Also I ordered to rest of my seeds from "FEDCO", and I believe their prices are very competitive (cheaper than my local stores in most cases), specially considering that once you hit $30 the shipping is free.

Hope that helps a little.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I usually just buy mine from the seed racks. I've used mostly Ed Hume seeds for years, because they are available at a nursery just a few blocks from my house, I'm not into "fancy" varieties, and I've had very good luck with them. This year, however, my daughter bought all my seeds as a Christmas present for me. She ordered them from Ed Hume, same prices as the seed racks, and only $2 for shipping on an entire order.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Ed Hume Seed Rack

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Personally I am very opposed to Monsanto and their subsidiaries, so I go out of my way to order non M seeds. I understand 80% plus of nursery seeds are Monsanto provided, so I avoid them.

I do try to shop local enough from seed caralog retailers so they are good varieties for my climate though. Hehe most of my blog entries of late have surrounded this issue. Tis the season and all.

Good luck and enjoy your garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• jwstell42
    15 years ago

Sinfonian - I believe FEDCO attempts to be 100% non monsanto varieties.

If you can deal with their policital "jabs" in their seed catalogs, i've had good luck with them :)

They are slanted towards growing in the NE (i.e. offer varieties that will mature in a shorter growing season then say... alabama), but most of their offerings are the ones you'd see elsewhere.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents (or 4 now lol).

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Baker Creek Seeds (rareseeds.com) is awesome, too, though I am another anti-Monsanto one, so take my bias for what it is, lol. Their shipping is really cheap and their packaging is so cool. I've heard great things about seeds of change from a friend. An aside: I bought some seeds from Burpee for a friend recently. They charged $7.95 for shipping (and handling) for 3 packs of seeds and when I received the seeds, they didn't even use a bubble envelope! I think you are very right to ask around before you buy, some seed places are just better than others. I've heard great things about fedco, also. You can look at the vendor rating forum to see what others think. You might find something local to you.

• gardener_mary
    15 years ago

My advice would be if you are looking for basic varieties that are likely to be in stores locally, buy them there. I find lots of the older widely offered varieties to be my favorites. But if you are looking for more unusual varieties you don't have a lot of choice but to order by mail. I like to try something new from time to time and the catalogs are all so tempting. There are lots of good companies out there, shop around.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I meant to say that several catalog companies are working with customers to either not sell Monsanto, most notably Fedco and Baker Creek, or alert them to seeds they still buy from them. DIY big boxes and nurseries do not have the same motivation (most of them here anyway) and since 80%+ of the local and national stores reportedly purchase from subsidiares of Monsanto, I avoid them.

Sorry if I was confusing.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i only order if i can't trade. LOL have you tried getting the seeds your wanting from the seed exchange? http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/exseed/
    if your just into nothing special you could fill up that garden of yours. heck i might have some of the seeds your looking for. LOL most of the time, some people will want an sasbe (self addressed stamped bubble envelope) or we like to say sasbe but it really means send what we want **onery grinn** LOL ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

• magnoliaroad
    15 years ago

What's up with Monsanto?

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Monsanto is a multinational biotechnology company with the goal to control food production globally through genetically engineering seed.

For a brief history on the company and a bit why I don't care for their ethics, see my blog post for December 29, 2008. Also, Fedco seeds has a good page dedicated to why they stopped doing business with their largest supplier after it was purchased in 2005.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• thebug1971
    15 years ago

Found a place on ebay that sells a lot of interesting, and unusual varieties. You can order as many seeds as you want for a flat $1.99 shipping. Prices seem to be a lot more reasonable than the major seed catalog companies. Received my order about 5 days after placing it. Most of the varieties were Livingston seeds, which I have no experience with.

Here is a link that might be useful: seedmart on eBay