Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_texas_peg

Kohlrabi

west_texas_peg
15 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion on how many per square foot?

This is my first time to plant kohlrabi; last week I started White Vienna Kohlrabi & have 20 sprouted. When can I put in the garden? My last freeze date is around the first of April (most of the time--last year we had a surprise frost after Easter and year before last it snowed on Good Friday!).

Peggy

Comments (5)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

"When seedlings are 2 to 3 inches high, thin or transplant to 6 to 8 inches apart."

Four per square sounds reasonable to me. I'd set them out around April 15 and be ready to provide a bit of protection if a late frost is expected. You may have started yours a bit early.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This info is from a planting schedule for another Texas county with our planting zone: Feb 15-Mar 1 Kohlrabi (transplants)

That is why I started them last week. I thought about putting it in a container on my enclosed porch until I could put the container out.

I'm not familiar with this veggie but my husband likes turnips so I felt like he would enjoy it. It's low carb which is good for his low carb diet.

Peggy

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

LOL, I guess "west texas" peg should have given me a clue that you aren't in the northwest! Sometimes I forget not everyone here is from Washington state!!!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I've heard great things about Kohlrabi. My package of the early purple vienna said to keep them at 4 inches, so 4/ft sounds right. This is my first year with them, also, so we'll see.

• west_texas_peg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I swapped with a guy from Europe last week; my Chile Petin Pepper seeds for his Kohlrabi �" Delikatess Blue....photo shows it to be very dark blue/purple so it will be a nice contrast to the Early White Vienna. Hoping they arrive soon so I can get them started. I did not realize the planting date on the schedule was for transplants or I would have started much earlier!

anniesgranny,
    I have my zone/location with my name because Texas is so large and its zones are very different...my Winter is much colder and drier than folks down in Houston/Galveston although they did have snow on Christmas Day a year or two ago!

I'm going to try to do 9/sq foot...the kohlrabi info I found says they are 4" in diameter...thought if I plant close it might help to 'mulch' and help keep soil wet and weed-free.

carolynp,
    Good luck with your kohlrabi...I'm always a lil nervous trying new things but get excited when they poke the first green up and then when we harvest and hubby LIKES it!

Peggy

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH