Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohlrabi

Posted by west_texas_peg 7b West Cen TX (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 13:24

Does anyone have a suggestion on how many per square foot?

This is my first time to plant kohlrabi; last week I started White Vienna Kohlrabi & have 20 sprouted. When can I put in the garden? My last freeze date is around the first of April (most of the time--last year we had a surprise frost after Easter and year before last it snowed on Good Friday!).

Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohlrabi

"When seedlings are 2 to 3 inches high, thin or transplant to 6 to 8 inches apart."

Four per square sounds reasonable to me. I'd set them out around April 15 and be ready to provide a bit of protection if a late frost is expected. You may have started yours a bit early.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

This info is from a planting schedule for another Texas county with our planting zone: Feb 15-Mar 1 Kohlrabi (transplants)

That is why I started them last week. I thought about putting it in a container on my enclosed porch until I could put the container out.

I'm not familiar with this veggie but my husband likes turnips so I felt like he would enjoy it. It's low carb which is good for his low carb diet.

Peggy

o

LOL, I guess "west texas" peg should have given me a clue that you aren't in the northwest! Sometimes I forget not everyone here is from Washington state!!!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

I've heard great things about Kohlrabi. My package of the early purple vienna said to keep them at 4 inches, so 4/ft sounds right. This is my first year with them, also, so we'll see.

o

I swapped with a guy from Europe last week; my Chile Petin Pepper seeds for his Kohlrabi �" Delikatess Blue....photo shows it to be very dark blue/purple so it will be a nice contrast to the Early White Vienna. Hoping they arrive soon so I can get them started. I did not realize the planting date on the schedule was for transplants or I would have started much earlier!

anniesgranny,
I have my zone/location with my name because Texas is so large and its zones are very different...my Winter is much colder and drier than folks down in Houston/Galveston although they did have snow on Christmas Day a year or two ago!

I'm going to try to do 9/sq foot...the kohlrabi info I found says they are 4" in diameter...thought if I plant close it might help to 'mulch' and help keep soil wet and weed-free.

carolynp,
Good luck with your kohlrabi...I'm always a lil nervous trying new things but get excited when they poke the first green up and then when we harvest and hubby LIKES it!

Peggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here