Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size and finish

Posted by rj_hythloday 8A (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 13:50

I have been planning on 6 4x4 beds, I have read quite a few posts w/ bigger beds. I am tall, and have longer arms so I am considering 3 4x8 beds might be more efficient for spacing and the amount of room I have for walkways.

I'm also wondering if I get pine or even cedar should I stain it? I'm thinking some of it will be plywood and each year replace a ply wood bed to be cedar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size and finish

rj - three 4x8's is what I would go with. You'll like that much better. My largest box is 4x25, and is no problem to take care of. Sure, I have to walk all the way around it to tend to things, but the exercise is welcomed. I wish it was 4x50! Heh. Concerning the stain....Maybe on the outside, for cosmetic reasons - but not on the inside. My large box is cedar, but the posts are ptw.

EG

o

I think it's the 4' that is important. That way you can reach across it from one dimension. I wouldn't use stain. I have no idea if it would actually leach into your plants, but why take chances?

o

2 of my beds are 4'x 10' and they're no problem to work around. I wouldn't go wider than 4' but I think the length is fine. My new ones are smaller, but that's just because of the space I have.

I think there a thread about non-toxic wood preservative not too long ago, you might try a search. (I think it was this forum).

o

I have 6 beds that are all 4' X 8'. It worked better with the space I have. My beds are made of fir (I think). We didn't stain or seal them. We will see how long they last - this will be the second year.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My new garden blog

o

I will have 3 4x8 beds, plus a couple 2x4 or 4x4 beds. The corn will get their own 4x8, the onions/garlic will get their own 4x4 or so, The squash and melons will get their own 2x? bed, then a 4x8 bed for the salad fixins (lettuce, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower). Then a bed for peas and beans.

i'll be using pine dimensional lumber, and I may treat them with linseed oil depending on how much time I have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here