Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kebert_xela

Lost on yields

kebert_xela
15 years ago

I did a container garden last year and am switching to sfg this year. I am trying out some new veggies, since I will have more room to work, but have no clue on the yields.

Is there any chart, rule of thumb, etc... I can turn to or will I just need to go by this year's experience to plan for next year.

I am most interested in the sugar snap pea yield as that is the most popular item on the planning list. I have planned for four squares of eight plants each and wonder if that is enough. I have 4 kids. I would love to be able to freeze some, esp when next winter I have to hear "why do we have so much zucchini and lima beans but you did not grow enough snap peas??? waaaaah"

Seriously, should I double the number of squares for the sugar snap peas?

I think I might be able to manage a spring and fall growing season with them if I time it just right. Our last frost date is around 5/26 and first frost mid to late Sept. My green arrow peas hung around til early October in a big pot before they were killed off.

While I'd love to know how my other new plants will yield, I can live with learning from this coming summer. The kids will be less disgruntled if I can plan the sugar snap yields properly, erring on the side of too many.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES