Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

SFG help for building on a slope

bonechickchris
15 years ago

Hi there! I have been reading Mels new book, trying to learn SFG. I live on a fresh water lake. Where my garden area is, the dirt errodes every year down into the lake, so my garden is on a slope, I guess you would say.

It is kind of immpossible to keep the dirt totally there to even it off. I had a front end loader comes 2 times with top soil , and it just seems to disspear so fast.

SO, does anyone have any suggestions for SFG on a slope? I assume the dirt in the SF box would not be lost, since it will be in the box, but I will have to make the boxes on a slant I guess. I was thinking of maybe finding some type of blocks or something to even it out, but I really don't know.

Thanks for reading this! Christy

Comments (6)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Hi Christy, we need more information like where your property ends and is the water level constant. Photos of the area would be a great help.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I will take pics when it is light out. The water level is constant (unless when they drain the lake for the winter). The plants are not near the water line at all.

Actually, I am on the lake front, which I have bulk headed along the whole back of my property, so in all the back yard, the water line is part of my property.

But on the side of my property where the, I guess drain you would call it, is another part of the lake, and infront of this is where my garden is. This area at this water's edge, is not bulk headed, and is techinically the town's property, so that is why I cannot do anything drastic to prevent the dirt from leaving. This part is slightly wooded before the water's edge, and my garden is in front of that. The town has came and dropped more dirt down for me, but that is about it as to what they will do there for me.

I know that this totally does not make sence without pictures, so I will have to post some. I will look forward to posting pics for you, and thanks for the link ! I will go check that out now! Christy

• amy_d-r
    15 years ago

I think the easiest thing would be to build it using those retaining wall blocks they sell at home centers. It would be pretty easy to stack them up as high as you needed to.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Christy - I can help you build a box on a slope, no problem....I have to do it all the time, because of my sloping landscape. Are you planning on using landscaping timbers, or pavers?

EG

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, today was a bad day to take pics, gloomy and wet. I wish there was a way I could just draw a simple pic for all of you to see, then it would make sence.
    Well, I am half way through Mel's new book, it would be nice to just use the 2 by 6 boards to build the box, but I have no idea what to use if I need to build it up on one side to level? I guess that would be the best way to get it even on uneven ground? Sorry if I do not seem to figure it out. I will also need to build some kind of top for the squares too for the early part of the plants' lives, because the canadian geese from the lake have cleared out my whole seeding garden once before (although, they are not too smart , so if I have a simple barrier, they will not cross it or attempt to fly in it, )
    Actually, this is another main reason I wanted to start SFG, so in the seedlings beginning stages, I could give pretection to them. Last year, I have my garden of all spring, cool wheather crops just all planted and finished. I can home from Mothers Day dinner just to find that all the plants we eaten! So sad! Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still another day of rain here, so as soon as it stops, I will take pics, did not want you all to think I forgot! Thanks so much for your help! Christy

Sponsored