Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleiwig

Today's Adventure in SFG

jleiwig
15 years ago

Today I decided to brave the 4 degree temps and head to Home Depot to see if they had any of their garden stuff ready. Sure enough they were wheeling the pallets in when I walked in the door. I picked up 4 50 pack jiffy strips and 3 bags of jiffy starter mix. 4 cool white bulbs for my fixtures, and the missing tomato and brussels sprout seeds I needed.

Next trip will be to buy the lumber for the beds. I can't wait till it warms above freezing to check on my quasi compost pile to see how it did over the winter. If it's anything decent I'll use that for 1 bed of compost and then purchase compost for the remainder of the other beds.

Just out of curiosity does anyone else's significant other give you "the look" when you start talking about all your going to do in the garden this year? My wife thinks I've totally gone beserk.

I tell her I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I come home every night to her, so she has to put up with my ideas of fun.

Comments (16)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

My wife gives me "the big sigh", anytime I utter one word about gardening. Some support would be great...ya know?
    I too, have been grabbing various items as soon as they hit the shelves. Lowes is across the street from my workplace, so I usually go there at lunchtime a couple of times a week. Needless to say, i'm ready for planting time, now!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: EG's Garden blog

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

jleiwig, I fight Mr. H every step of the way. Just this morning, I asked him to help me build a little 3'x3' frame for the second half of my salad garden, and I get "Why? Nothing is going to grow here. I've been looking at those plants all winter and they never grow. They won't be big enough to eat by the time we go home".

Piffle, I say. The plants grew from seeds and were planted in pots 1 to 2-1/2 months ago. It's spinach, beets, lettuce and radishes. Most of them are large enough that I'd bet we'll be eating some within two weeks.

I'd normally build the frame myself, but I'm using scrap 2x4s that are crookeder than a dog's hind leg, and it takes two to shove on them hard enough to screw them together.

Anyway, it got done, and here's my (today's and yesterday's) adventure in the SFG....click to enlarge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I get silence at worst from my wife, who will help in the garden in short bursts if needed, but wants nothing to do with it otherwise.

As for Lowes, tis not yet the garden season here so I got strange looks there today. At least ny 2 year old was excited with me hehe.

• belleville_rose_gr
    15 years ago

Back in the fall I posted about converting to Sq.ft gardening so I went outside yesterday and snap a couple pics of my backyard.

Here is a link that might be useful: gardening by the seat of my pants

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I usually get the bland, "uh,hu" when I'm talking. He pretends to listen, sometimes he even looks at me, but is really watching or listening to the television. However, I must say that he's been AMAZING at helping me to do things when I ask. It may not be his bug of choice, but he's manually (if not vocally) supporting mine.

• shebear
    15 years ago

Mine isn't really too interested but I've been handing him papers written about organic gardening and the state of US farming and ranching and he's starting to ask some serious questions. He's into computers so I figure it's a division of labor thing.......I raise the food and stay informed on those topics and he keeps us connected and keeps up with technology.

• conniem56
    15 years ago

Hi! I've been lurking here off and on for a while. :) WOW, 4 degrees is just too cold for me. I would be hiding in bed under the covers (I'll admit, I'm a wimp about cold weather).

I was at Lowes and Walmart this week and checked for garden stuff. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything. BUT, there was an add in the paper today for Fred Meyer and they have their seeds at 40% off! So, I'll be heading there tomorrow. :)

DH doesn't really care for gardening, but is supportive of my gardening. He likes having fresh fruits and veggies. :) He built my raised beds and is going to put together a green house for me. :) And build some trellises, and well the list goes on. . .

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My new garden blog

• carolynp
    15 years ago

My hubby no longer "thinks" I've gone beserk, lol, I think he's confirmed it. I'm lucky, his hobby is computers, so he doesn't complain about my gardening too much. I think after a period of time, she'll start to see how this benefits her, too. Maybe you could bring her flowers and point out the next set could be from your garden? That'd work on me, lol.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Wow. I wish my husband would get a hobby.

Just kidding, he's not QUITE as bad as I sometimes make him sound.

Be sure to visit Connie's blog...she just started it, but it's great! And she lives in the same town as I do, so we can really get down and dirty on comparing our veggie performance. I looked at her 2008 garden photos, and she gets 10 times the produce from half the back yard size that I get! And fruit trees and flowers to boot.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Connie's New Blog

• conniem56
    15 years ago

10 times the produce? Not sure about, that, lol. :)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Connie - welcome, from the notorious EG. Heh. So....you live in the same town as Granny? Cool! Granny is the coolest! Although....she hasn't called me poopy head in quite a while now, so I'm starting to get worried.

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Oh, just hush up, Poopy Head.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Ah....that's much better....Thanks, Granny!

EG

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Connie: Loved your blog! I actually like the grass pathway, I may try something like that. It's unusual and attracts interest I think.
    Granny: He has a hobby: bothering you while you garden. My hubby steers clear of that one because he knows he'd be helping without meaning to.

• conniem56
    15 years ago

But, it's a pain to mow and even bigger pain to edge. I was thinking of pavers with creeping thyme as living mortar. :)

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

My gardening mania has gotten worse every year since we bought our first home four years ago. This year I discovered winter sowing and sfg.
    My spouse is very supportive. He tries to listen but it is hard for him, I don't hear his computer talk very well either.
    All in all I couldn't be happier with him, he bought me a wheelbarrow the other day. My first one :). Imagine if he gardened and wanted to do things his way :0.
    He doesn't want to be outside all the time like me either. I would live in the garden if it meant no dirty dishes or laundry.
    I did find that getting on here a lot and finding a gardening pen pal to blather on to helped cut down on the family eye rolling.

Sponsored