Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of growing shallots

Posted by conniem56 US=6-7, SS=3B, E. WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 30, 09 at 17:19

I was wondering if anyone here has tried growing shallots. I'm thinking about trying it - I bought some at Costco a while back and found some of them sprouting yesterday. So, I'm thinking of sticking them in the ground and seeing what happens.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My new garden blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of growing shallots

My neighbor gave me some last fall, so I planted them. In October I put my garden to bed, and the shallots had sprouted and grown to about 3" in height, but they had to be moved. I set them in another area of the garden (they had already begun multiplying) and left them for the winter....I'll let you know if they survived when I get home in March!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

I'm wondering if I'll be putting them in the ground kind of late? I was thinking fall would be the time to plant - like garlic. Well, I'll stick them in the ground soon and see what happens.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

o

I've grown them for 3 years now and plant them at the same time i plant my garlic in the fall. They are pretty much trouble free, but my wife thinks a sweet onion like candy or texas sweet is a better use of space, and i tend to agree. i guess we just don't appreciate the subtle taste of shallots and prefer the onions.

o

Connie, you may be able to harvest them by the late spring or early summer. You can actually raise two crops of Shallots. Since you planted them way early in the spring you should be able to harvest them by summer time.

Please keep us posted.

We generally plant them by October and harvest by July next year. You can see the pictues of our Shallots on our blog post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Shallot Onions in Your Backyard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here