Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianega

Which have biggest taste difference compared to store-bought?

DianeGA
15 years ago

Hi! I posted this same question on the Vegetable site, but since some of you may not frequent that site I'd like to post it here also. And if you had particular varieties that you felt were outstanding, feel free to add that info also!

--------------

I know all homegrown produce is fresher & therefore somewhat better than store-bought, but I have limited space so I'm looking for those that have the biggest bang for the buck.

For example, homegrown tomatoes & strawberries are worlds better than what I buy at the store, but I didn't find that much difference in the taste of my zucchini, crookneck squash, or Ichiban eggplant. Although I liked having them fresh & grown organically, the taste seemed pretty much the same.

What else do you suggest I try that will just blow me away in the taste comparison?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Corn, but you don't have the space.

Carrots are head and shoulders above.

Cauliflower and broccoli.

Green onions (I won't eat them from the store, but homegrown rocks).

Sugar snap peas right off the vine... divine... hehe

Other than that, I'd rather eat anything out of my garden than storebought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• carolynp
    15 years ago

I'm still so new to this, but imho: carrots are an enormous difference. Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like I can taste chemicals in carrots. We don't even eat them during the winter anymore because the taste is so bad to me.
    Can I also suggest that you can easily grow garlic in pots? You can also grow peas in hanging pots (sugar ann is a great variety for this). This can expand some of your ability to grow your own. I sure know that organic must get expensive after a bit. Also, If you look at some of the things they are doing in containers, I have to say, I'm going to try corn in earthtainers this year, too, just because it looks healthier.

• jeremyjs
    15 years ago

There is a bit of a difference in most veggies, but the worst store bought veggie by far is the tomato. Because of the tenderness of the fruit they developed physically robust hybrids that ended up with very little taste. That and they're picked well before they're ripe so that they're not a pile of mush before they get to you. That's my theory anyway. I'm starting my garden this coming spring primarily for the fresh heirloom tomatoes.

It seems that anything that's very sweet or naturally tender are garbage from a grocery store. Lots of the really sweet veggies loose sweetness every minute they sit of a shelf. Also what I said before about the growers choosing robust varieties over tasty varieties for practical shipping/handeling reasons.

• amy_d-r
    15 years ago

What I think tastes better homegrown:

Tomatoes, of course
    Any kind of berry
    Garlic (homegrown cloves are sweeter)
    Melons (most store melons don't pass the sniff test, and you can't choose between varieties)
    Beets
    Carrots
    Peas
    Young salad greens
    Fresh herbs (they're also very expensive at the store!)
    Sweet corn

I don't have space to grow all of this, so I pick the smaller stuff and the stuff that I really love to eat. I grow tons of lettuce, herbs, as many tomatoes as I can fit, peas, and a few square feet of beets and carrots. I always try to grow berries, too but it never works out.

I also have several great farmer's markets here in Madison, WI so I can get really fantastic fruits and veggies without having to grow them myself. In the summer I go every week, so my garden is really just a supplement and not my primary source of produce.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Tomatoes, most of all. Then I'd have to say carrots, corn, beets, potatoes, green beans and peas. None of the store-bought ones have the crispness and/or sweetness of the young ones straight from the garden.

I agree, the squashes don't taste that much different from store-bought, nor do the peppers. I don't notice much difference in broccoli/cauliflower/cabbage, either.

The greens are a toss-up. Sometimes store-bought are OK, but I really prefer picking daily from the garden for freshness.

All of the above are available from my nearby farmer's market, and the quality is excellent. I prefer to grow my own for the simple reason that I love to garden and share with family and neighbors, and growing my own is way cheaper than buying.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• jbest123
    15 years ago

If you want the best flavors that will blow you away, I would plant all heirloom verities. Almost all hybrids are developed for commercial purposes with the priorities going to resistance to shipping damage, shelf life and being grown in a greenhouse or hydroponics. Almost no consideration is given to taste.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• medontdo
    15 years ago

without a doubt i'd have to say tomato's, green peppers, and onions, garlic and, hmmm.... well, just about everything i've ever eaten, the beans, and pea's, i just don't care for the store bought stuff as well, i'm always wondering who urinated or something on my stuff befor i got it???? Ecoli!!! at least at home, i know there's least likely to happen. **big smile** ~Medo who has a big phobia of people's sick minds!! LOL believe me!! i know too many of them!! **onery grinn**

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

Tomatoes, of course

but I love, love, love sugar snap peas just picked straight from the vine and eaten in the garden. Besides you need something to snack on until the cherry tomatoes are ripe.

Big fan of fresh salad greens in winter. Mine lasted until the week before Christmas. I will be planting more soon.

• october17
    15 years ago

Green beans, peas, spinach, and carrots.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

can you grow vertically?? as well as sqf?? i've seen some of the people's gardens that do that, they use towers and such, they look lovely!!
    http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-335/426-335.html#L3
    http://vegetablegardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/abasicvegetablegarden was info interesting!!! :')
    http://www.verticalgardeningtips.com/benefits.html
    http://www.easybalconygardening.com/verticalgardening.php

i thought this one was cool for visual :') http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/ecology/15-living-walls-vertical-gardens-sky-farms/1202
    http://www.gardeningtipsnideas.com/2008/07/starting_a_diy_vertical_garden.html
    i know, these are all different, but...it does give ya an idea :') ok, i know it isn't what you asked for, and i always go off key alot (sorry) but it does give you another route maybe! trellises work great and also EG is great at how to build the things, and the others are great with idea's (that's not to say he isn't!! LOL) that being said, i will just shut up!! LOL ~Medo

• DianeGA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their input! Yes, I'm going to try to incorporate SFG, containers & a few trellises too in order to get the most out of my space. And try to plan some succession crops too.
    Thanks again!

• hiites
    15 years ago

I agree with what everyone else has posted but am surprised no one has mentioned potatoes. Before I planted potatoes, I didn't think there would be much difference but there is and it is a tremendous difference. Last year my favorite was Kinnebec(sp).

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

hiites said "I agree with what everyone else has posted but am surprised no one has mentioned potatoes."

I did.

"Tomatoes, most of all. Then I'd have to say carrots, corn, beets, potatoes, green beans and peas."

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• strawberryjam_gw
    15 years ago

Since I am from Minnesota and winter in Florida, I would say Oranges and Grapefuit. They are so sweet and don't have the acidic taste they do when they are shipped. I would guess its because I pick them when they are ripe while I am on vacation.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!