Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleiwig

Plastic Mulch and Drip Irrigation Question

jleiwig
15 years ago

Has anyone used the IRT 100 mulch on their raised beds?

I'm debating if it is worth it versus black plastic from Home Depot or Lowes?

Second question: Is there a preference for drip tape or tube?

I've heard varying things on either one, regarding clogging and so on and so forth. I'm planning on running irrigation to all the beds this year (hopefully I have time!) and was wondering which is the preferred method for raised beds?

Comments (4)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

I chose soaker hose. If one tiny hole clogs, there are many more.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Spend the money on the IRT as it is transparent to IR, which is what you want. I suspect algae will have a harder time growing under it as well. I also recommend soaker hose.

Dan

• shebear
    15 years ago

The big boys use drip tape in the fields. The tube kind won't clog if you get the kind with the inserted drippers. They are designed to deal with dirt. The lazer drip tube clogs so stay away from it.

• jleiwig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I ordered the IRT 100 from Fedco today. I ordered 2 4ftx50 ft rolls since the shipping was almost as much as 1 roll! 20.20 shipped for 100 ft of the IRT isn't too bad in my opinion. The big roll of the thicker black plastic at HD is more than that. Now I just need for the 12" of snow and ice to melt so I can start getting my beds built and go pick up some compost from a local horse farm that responded to my Craigslist ad.

Still to do:

Figure out what to plant where
    Build beds
    Pick up many yards of compost from local horse farm
    Fill Beds
    Buy Drip Irrigation Setup
    Install Drip Irrigation
    Modify SWCs for Auto Watering System
    Learn how to Can & Preserve Veggies
    Reap the harvest all year long!

Sponsored