Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers, Cantaloupe and Watermelon

Posted by liisa_rwc 10b Bay Area CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 8, 09 at 21:52

Hi All,

I was reading through my "Vegetable Gardener's BIBLE" book and came upon this on page 253...

"Bitter Relative: Grow melons far enough from cucumbers and winter squash so the vines cannot intertwine. The melon will be bitter if their blossoms are pollinated by either of these related plants."

So my question is... have any of you grown cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelons together (I am taking about very small varieties.. petite sizes) and have noticed a bitter flavor?

Liisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers, Cantaloupe and Watermelon

This shouldn't happen. Cross pollination would only affect the seeds that formed within the melons, not the melons themselves.

o

Wow, I hope not. I'm planning to put my vining plants in one bed together. I'm planning watermelon, cukes & spaghetti squash, and maybe a pumpkin all near each other.

o

I'm with akowalski, my botany suggests that pollination affects the next generation, not this one. Still, I have heard not to let cukes pollinate your other squash...

o

Thanks akowaleski!

greenbean
Me too!
Unless someone posts that this has happened to them...
I'm going to go for it :-)

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

o
RE: Cucumbers, Cantaloupe and Watermelon (ok in same bed?)

Thanks carolynp...

OK so the cukes and the melons in the same bed.
Squash and pumpkins I was going to plant in large containers anyway so I can make sure they are not too close to the cukes.

Liisa

o

This year will be my second doing SFG, so I am realllllly not an expert.

Last year I planted cukes and cantaloupe together (the watermelon died in all the wet we had in the Spring). I have to say, I was dissappointed in the melons. They weren't bitter, but weren't sweet either. I'm not sure that cross pollination is the reason either, but I thought I'd let you know my experience.

o

mom2brina,

Thanks for info. This will be my first SFG so I will give it a go and report back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here